Lens Question

mhart032

Nice thanks for the great info, dont have a macro lens yet. i did buy a Nikon D50 so i could use the nikon lenses i have acquired witch is a Vivitar Series 1 70-300mm and a Nikkor 24mm H manual wide lens, a nikkor 35-70mm AF and the nikkor DX 18-55mm i also have a sigma 150-500mm AF telephoto and a sigma 28-105mm. i just ordered a nikkor 35-105mm macro and a sigma 70-300 DL super macro cause i wanted some macro lenses to take pics and have more detail. are any of these lenses good lenses?

Hi Robertwave.gif ...sorry I missed talking to you the other day...I'm sure Cindy shared my WONDERFUL day snorkeling on the tour boatwacko.gif I liked feeding the fish wink.gif

Will this fit my Canon Rebel XTI by any chance?

Yes it will fit your Rebel. The Rebel takes an EF mount lens like my 40D.

BTW... I figured out where I recognized you from. You worked at RCA for a while didn't you? I came in taking photos one day. I finally got my 135 up and going though its not a saltwater tank. I have been using my 28-135mm lens to shoot with, but a macro lens is on the list for me as well.

Yes it will fit your Rebel. The Rebel takes an EF mount lens like my 40D.

BTW... I figured out where I recognized you from. You worked at RCA for a while didn't you? I came in taking photos one day. I finally got my 135 up and going though its not a saltwater tank. I have been using my 28-135mm lens to shoot with, but a macro lens is on the list for me as well.

Yes...I worked there for a little less than a year...I remember youcool.gif Do you have cichlids running in your 135?

Thanks for answering my questionwink.gif

Just an FYI Matt, those two you listed last will not give you true macro capabilities, i.e. 1:1 reproduction. For that you will need a true macro lens, which with only 1 or 2 exceptions, will be a fixed focal length(aka prime). And they are not cheap, i.e. ~$400 for a new 3rd party. You might find a 50-60mm used Nikkor in that price range too.

If you want true 1:1 then yes, you'll need a prime macro. Check ebay and keh.com if $ is an issue. You can find nice, older manual focus Nikkor 105 lenses for $300-450 or so. And as I mentioned earlier, if you want a new lens, the 3rd party vendors macro offerings in the 90-105 range can be had for around that and will produce very nice images.

A true macro will give 1:1 reproduction on the sensor, meaning the image on the sensor will be life size. There are some lenses labeled macro but will only do 1:4 or 1:2.

Prime is just a photo term to mean it is a fixed focal length lens. As opposed to a zoom which will have a variable focal length.

That Tamron is a real, true macro and gets great reviews. I've not played with one so I can't give any more feedback than that.

Check out the Sigma 105 and Tokina 100 too. They, and Nikon, make some in the 50-60mm range as well as some in the 150-180 range. They will all take great pics but the longer ones will give you more working distance(i.e., distance from the front of the lens to your subject with it being in focus). This is less important with taking fish/coral/flower pics than it is with bugs/lizards etc. Also, the distance is somewhat misleading. The 50-60 range will be ~9" and the 150-180 range will be 12-14" so it's not a huge change.

Forgot to mention something else. That D50 will only autofocus lenses with built in motors. For Nikon lenses this means an AF-S designation. Sigma has the HSM designation. Not sure on Tamron or Tokina. Autofocus is pretty useless in macro mode but, being as macro lenses are really sharp, it might be when you use it elsewhere.

I thought the d50 was the motor in the camera like my n6006 it uses the screw type lens focus I know the d40x and d40 use the motor in the lens. I am useing the sane lenses I got with my n6006 an they work with the auto focus. I do t normaly use the af anyway as I don't trust it to take a nice sharp pic. I been looking on both sites and I'll post what I find for a macro and hopefully someone can post what they think about it. I'd hate to spend 500 on a lens and not be what I need. Thanks for the help so far

matt

ok, does anyone know of any classes that are worth taking? i have looked at several places but was wondering if anyone had taken any that they could reco..

If you want aquarium specific classes I don't know of any. I goggled the topic and found a myriad of information. If you just want to take basic to advance classes on digital photography Nikon offers courses but of course they are not cheap. Here is a link to their most recent classes:

Nikon School

Locally you can check the Precision Camera website:

Photography Classes

They also have web based classes as well:

Prescision Web Photo School

And Finally I think this would be fun (I might check it out)!

Texas Photo Festival-Smithville, Texas

Of course, the more you use your equipment the more you will improve. . .

Happy Shooting,

Dave-

ok, does anyone know of any classes that are worth taking? i have looked at several places but was wondering if anyone had taken any that they could reco..

Photography is a funny thing.. You cant "teach" how to take a photograph, its something that either you have or you don't. What can be taught is the technical side of photography and how to take a good photo in regards to exposure, lighting, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, what lenses will work for your application,.... ect..

If you want to take a class, probably the best thing you can do is get online a start doing some research on things such as exposure and the other things I mentioned above. I don't want to sound like I know everything, because I don't, but you can take a look at my website (http://www.jamsessionphoto.com) and see what I have learned by just doing research online. I have never had a formal photography class in my life. Good luck with it and most of all have fun with it.

It's a nice little lens, I have one that is left over from my film days. It won't meter which might be a big deal. If the price is right it could be a fun plaything. It's not a macro though, and on a DX camera will be a ~75mm lens.

Also, to comment on the classes thing. As Jakedoza said, or to paraphrase, photography is an art and a science. If you have the artistic side already, you are way ahead of the curve. The technical side is easier, IMO/IME, to learn. Ken Rockwell has a theory that anyone interested in taking good-great photographs should take art classes instead of photography classes, read art books, etc in order to become better. I like that approach and try to follow it myself.

i have an opertunity to get this lens for a decent price should i get it?

Nikon Series E 50 mm 1:1.8 Prime

50mm lens is a great lens depending on what you are wanting to take photos of. I bought my 50mm thinking I could use it in some of my concert photography because it is fast and was very inexpensive.. now not to say that I wont because I have not shot a concert since I have purchased it, but after shooting with it I need a way wider lens for concerts. I have tried taking photos of my fish with the lens, but it is not a macro and it is also a prime. About the only things prime lenses are good for (IMO) are landscapes and portraits, for everything else I prefer a zoom lens.

Are you going to be using it for anything specific or do you want a new lens to have a new lens?

No. i want to take photos of my tank. i have taken some and i dont think they are even good. im looking for a macro lens right now and i ran accross that lens for 30 bucks and saw it was prime and was 1:1 so thought it mite be worth picking up. but doesnt look like its going to work.. here are some shoots i took tonight playing with the exposure trying to figure this camera out.. i think their ok but not good..

post-959-12523027248229_thumb.jpg

post-959-12523028576523_thumb.jpg

post-959-12523034881977_thumb.jpg

as a scuba diver and a photographer Ill be the first to tell you that you need a TON of light for underwater photos because of the light spectrum. Red light is the first light to be lost and Blue is the last, thus most underwater photos have a blue tint. Since most aquarium lights are suppose to replicate the light spectrum for plants and fish underwater you will get that same effect, that is why your photos look blue.

Since you are taking photos of your tank and are not actually underwater you can accomplish this with less equipment. Now there are several different ways to corect the color of your photos, this is called white balance.

You can use a flash (with a bounce card or diffuser).

You can set up lights to shine on the aquarium that are not set up to simulate the underwater light spectrum (also diffused).

or.. you can use the camera software and computer software to correct this.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to set up a diffused light source and shine it in the tank. Since you are shining light through glass you will need a reflected/ambient (diffused) light source so you dont take photos of the reflected light on the glass and to help glare.

If you want to use a flash it will also need to be diffused to reduce glare.

For ALL photos taken of aquarium life through glass you want to get as close as possibe to the glass when shooting and ALWAYS use manual focus. You'll be suprised that the camera will actually focus on the glass.

Now if you want to do all of this through the camera or through software you be prepared to lose a lot of quality in your photo. You can never only use software for a perfect image, but will always need it for one.

Regardless of the method you use you will want to adjust the white balance of your camera according to your manual to help correct the image, OR you can do what I do and shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance through software.

You always have to remember that detal not captured in the initial image weather it be underexposed or overexposed will never show up, and no software will ever be able to bring it back.

Exposure in itself with white balance all works together in making a photograph. All of this is done through the shutter speed, aperture (F-stop), and film speed (ISO). When you throw off the light spectrum (taking photos underwater or of a simulated environment) this becomes more difficult because it goes against everything a photographer is taught in taking a photograph.

Bottom line is a lens will not make a good photograph, it will make a good photograph better. To make a good photograph you will need knowledge on how to do that through your camera settings (Shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO). different lenses allow you to adjust these settings differently.

Here is a link to a site that may help you better understand the science side of photography.

My http://www.suite101.com/course.cfm/18891/lessons

Have fun and good luck and the best way to learn is to fail and to try again until you get it right.