order of things

Chrispar

ok, i got the money together and saved up to get my tank started. So what order should i add the sand and rock and water? should i have the sand bed laid out then add rock or rock then sand then water? might sound a bit silly but i wanna know

Base rock first so you are stacking something up against the bottom. Lots of people throw in a layer of eggcrate.

Playsand can work if it passes the vinigar test but be wary. It's really not worth it when Prof has such good prices on sand that you know is good.

I think rock first, then sand. That way the rock is stable. Lots of reef critters like to move sand around. If your rock is sitting on sand, the sand adjustments can cause large pieces of rock to shift suddenly. Rock shifting suddenly is nearly always a bad thing in my experience. JMHO.

its a 29 gallon tall. not tooooo sure on corals yet, i know at least some softies, livestock is gonna be some black and white ocellaris, a blenny of some sorts and CUC, I plan on running it long term

The "true" method is rock then sand. Not so much because they can shift, but because you can create anaerobic areas if you place rock over sand. These "dead spots" can build up toxic gasses that could eventually cause all of your parameters to shift suddenly if they became released.

Now I don't know if I really agree with all that I just said. It is just what you tend to read when you read the books and magazine articles.