216W T5 VS 260W CF Lights

Rjohn

My new T5 light finally got delivered and I installed it about 15 minutes ago. I am still working on the digital timer entries. In the T5, I have 2 10,000K's and 2 Actinic 03's. I must say the tank is much brighter and quite a bit "bluer" than it was with the CF bulbs. The CF bulbs were 8 months old and needing to be replaced, I think. Now if I can just get the built-in digital timer squared away, I will be happy, at least for today.

Ric,

I hope you enjoy the T5. While I am satisfied overall with the T5, I must say I hoped for more flourescense from the Actinic T5. Maybe I do not have the right bulb manufacture. I just ordered a different blue from "Current" Jury is still out.

Pat

I've read anywhere from 6 months to 18 months. I just replaced two of mine that burnt out after ~18months. I don't know that I could see any difference in brightness, but I used a different brand lamp so it's not directly comparable.

I would stay away from the Current brand lamps as they don't put out much PAR. Stick with Giesemann, ATI, KZ, GE, or UVL.

Aquatek has the G-mann and some KZ in stock. I've not found anyone else stocking T5 lamps in town. I order mine from DIYreef and have always gotten good prices and great service. Reekgeek is another on line vendor with a great reputation.

See here for more info:

http://tfivetesting.googlepages.com/

and their thread on RC if you have 4009823 hours to read through it all; http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1677547

i like my Giesemann actinics but i didnt like the midday to yellow. i went with GLO 6.7k instead more white but im just running 1 with 3 actinics in my 4 t5 setup been thinking about going all t5 running 10 all togeather. i have seen good results from them on ATXryans tank.