40 x 40 x 20 shouldn't it be braced

dark8nge1

So I picked up a 140 gal 40" x 40" x 20" and surprisingly it is made of 1/2" glass and not braced at all. My current 70 gal isnt braced on the 36" side and uses 1/2" glass as well but I'm not sure if the extra 4" makes a difference. I know 48" tanks are braced, but do you think?

maybe putting the box on one of the braced sides would help? Thats questionable I would think. Maybe a wave2k would be less destructive. Although you could ask Roger (i think) on RC, the Tunze rep. He could probably answer that better than most. I have seen him tell a person or two that he wouldnt put one on their system. I dont remember the exact questions though.

:) cool, maybe I wont brace it after all. Getting kinda lazy after building the stand :D Hey Brian, I used 34 2x4's on my tank stand. I guess in the end i'm not nearly as bold as you, or it could be that you're just a better stand builder than me dontknow.gif Thanks for answering my question.

Well, I'm not an expert on tank building so I don't know if 1/2" is adequate or not but I do know that the Tunze wavebox does stress the glass. According to the manual it will decrease your tank life by like 5-7% or something if the tank is built to spec. There is even a horror story on reef central about a wavebox that busted out the side wall of a a custom built tank that the builder did not make to manufacturer's recommendations. Now, I think that any fears about the wavebox are 99% overblown (I own one myself,) but I would do some follow-up before I bought one for that tank if there is any question about the glass thickness. Just my $.02.