How to feed fish while on vacation?

Truckin

Hey Roy,

I unfortunately purchased the "downscale" battery operated auto fish feeders from WalMart about a year ago...I came home to crashed tanks...they were the ones that feed every 12 hours...well, fish do not eat at night...I could have not put food on one side so when it rotated it would be empty...hindsight=20/20cool.gif You could let fish go for 3 days max, I was told, corals even longer...I am leaving for Florida this week and I need to have my son's girlfriend come. I will have her feed just once over a 5 day time period. Just make sure you leave explict instructions for if you ever have a sitter. I have never used the digital feeders.

Another thing I have to have for my sitter is plenty of top off water...remember though, I have 6 tanks...

I plan on a heavier feeding before I leave for the airport Tuesday....then have the sitter come on Thursday. I will have bags marked in the freezer for each specific tank.

Ric has a good suggestion for a club sign up. I fortunately have trusted friends and family very close to my homesmile.gif

We used a pet sitter. She used to own a saltwater tank some time ago. She works for a vet clinic, has great references, plus she has watches animals for people at the Sheriff's Department. I completely trusted her as she was very knowledgeable. She even sent me a text and let me know how all the critters were doing. Upon our return, we came home to find treats for the cat, plus a check list of what she did while we were away. She also brought in the paper for us and vacuumed the mess that my birds made on the floor. We used her for two days to feed our animals plus take care of our tanks, including top off and it was only $30. I would highly recommend her and will use her again. Anyone interested in her contact info, please send me a PM and I will forward her information.

Thanks,

Chad~n~Belinda

Hey Roy,

I unfortunately purchased the "downscale" battery operated auto fish feeders from WalMart about a year ago...I came home to crashed tanks...they were the ones that feed every 12 hours...well, fish do not eat at night...I could have not put food on one side so when it rotated it would be empty...hindsight=20/20cool.gif You could let fish go for 3 days max, I was told, corals even longer...I am leaving for Florida this week and I need to have my son's girlfriend come. I will have her feed just once over a 5 day time period. Just make sure you leave explict instructions for if you ever have a sitter. I have never used the digital feeders.

Another thing I have to have for my sitter is plenty of top off water...remember though, I have 6 tanks...

I plan on a heavier feeding before I leave for the airport Tuesday....then have the sitter come on Thursday. I will have bags marked in the freezer for each specific tank.

Ric has a good suggestion for a club sign up. I fortunately have trusted friends and family very close to my homesmile.gif

Hi Laura,

I think you need a few more tanks, just to make life easier.

Roy

In my opinion fish can go much longer than 3 days without eating. I have let it go for 2 weeks without fish stress that I could see. With a refugium they get food continually, irrespective of adding food.

As far as battery operated fish feeders, I have been well served with Fish Mate Model F14. It feeds for 14 days with the ability to feed from 1 to 4 times a day. When I used then in Southwest Louisiana depending on the food, the flakes would start to stick together after a few months. Just place them in an areqa with less moisture or provide a source of heat to keep it dry.