Looking for Rimless Aquarium

migs

I saw the Oceanic Illuminata at Aquatek. I had to take multiple looks at it. I also like the rimless look. The negatives though: it is too tall for my tastes and the width / depth is only 18". If it was at least 24", I think it would catch on quick. Also don't remember correctly, but I don't think it had the high clarity glass, but could of been wrong.

Overall nice looking tank but would change the dimensions.

I've never personally owned a glasscages tank but I've heard good things about them related to being solid. The only negatives I've heard is the silicone finish quality. I don't mind some extra silicone when it comes to gallons of water in my house! They also have great dimensions to pick from.

For my new tank I have a rimless 120.

Strictly from my feelings

Pros:

Pretty,

Very clean look

Cons:

Cost (both tank and somewhat other accessories)

Fish choice (I'm still figuring out how to seal the tank against jumping fish without loosing the clean look)

For example lighting must / should be hanging to preserve the clean look. I had originally (before I lucked into a rimless) been planning on a DIY closed loop system but to maintain the clean look I've wound up going with a wave maker.

As far as manufacturers, there are numerous reviews online. They seem to break down to Glasscages being affordible but having finish quality issues, many of the other manufacturers get excellent reviews but are significantly more expensive.

Interesting - I was actually wondering about the open tops and jumping fish... I was looking at the cadlights system that have a glass top... unfortunately they are pricey and only go up to 39g.

I was also looking at the Deep Sea Aquatics... not truly rimless but they are offering free glass tops:

Deep Sea Aquatics

Rimless tanks look cool if you have the right fixture. I would advise agaist glass cages, they are hit or miss when it comes to quality. AGE builds a good tank but they're not cheap. In fact I have a complete set up I'll let go including fish and corals for 15K. LMK

It really depends on the fish you plan to keep. I have LumenBrights on my tank that are in a hanging rack over my 180 gallon. The top is completely open. I have had only one fish jump out and that was one that I later found out was notorious for jumping out. The other 18 fish of mine are fine with no issues. As long as the water quality is good, they seem to stay in it!

AGE has a new 90G coming out that I think is 36x24x24. Starphire glass on the front three panels, acrylic bottom, Calflo overflow. Sounds like an awesome tank, but it is not cheap. I just talked to Kingfish and they quoted me around $850 just for the tank.

As far as fish suicide, I currently have a rimless Solana that I have lost 4 fish from jumping. I finally went to HD and bought angle trim and some bird netting. I glued the whole thing together and it looks pretty good, and better yet I haven't lost a fish since.

migs, the DSA offer for free glass top was technically only for the month of May, however, when i ordered my model 90 pro, their sales guy honored it since it was still on their website. you'll want to make sure that happens in case you are expecting it. just my $0.02.