Attack of the Peppermint Shrimp

Jon.Hanna

Hello Guy's and Gall's I am new her to the forum as well as new to the Hobby and i need of a little input. I have new 29 Gallon that my wife and I have set up and it originally had 2 Clowns Live, Live rock, a peppermint shrimp, a Scallop and a couple Snails.

So this last weekend we noticed one of the Clowns was acting kinda weird and had a kinda chalky look to his skin and just started going crazy, well as I was on the phone with River City it Just died, well I took the fish up there and after further examination it looks like The fish had bite marks and that was what the chalkiness was and it looks like the stress might have just got to him. It was very strange because we did not se any aggression between the two clowns at all so we were still a little confused.

Well now that you have the back story.

Last night my wife was up late and walked by the tank and saw something shoot across the tank so she stopped to take a closer look at the lights were off in the tank, Low and Behold it was the Peppermint Shrimp acting like he was god Dive Bombing The Clown that we have left in there and backing it in to corners then swimming around. My wife said it was crazy to watch. It seems that the shrimp really comes to life at night and is attacking the fish.

Has anybody ever heard of this type of thing happening with a Peppermint Shrimp.

Any opinions will help.

Thanks,

Jon Hanna

Lol Yes that would be a great Movie Title. I purchased it from River City Aquatics. They are who I have purchased all my stuff from so far, I am pretty sure it is because I purchased when they were having a special on them. Lol I knew everyone was going to think I was crazy when I posted this.

Thanks for the interest though.

We have a bunch of peppermint shrimp. They are mostly active at night, but they are very skittish. I was up last night with a flashlight trying to find something else (probably a hitchhiker) in our tank. The peps were very active, but except for occasionally bumping into something, they didn't go near anybody.

A hitchhiker is essentially any organism that you inadvertently added to your tank....could be anything attached to a live rock or in your sand or on a coral. We've found all sorts of worms and sea stars, even little crabs and fish that were hiding in live rock when we purchased it.

Some thing living in your live rock. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep a close eye on things. If you have or can get ahold of a red led falsh light you could explore the wonderful world of the reef at night.