Media Reactor

joshman1204

I am trying to make my 24g look a little better and I noticed that my water just doesn't look very polished. I threw a bag of carbon in the back chamber but there is no way to force the flow through it without causing some problems with my ATO unit so it isnt really doing much good just floating in the water.

I am thinking of getting the bulk reef supply dual media reactor and running carbon and gfo in it. Has anyone used this setup and do you think it will benefit my 24g setup?

Thanks

I dont have a bulk reef supply one, but I have another brand and it works well. I put carbon and phosguard in mine.

If you run carbon in it, your water should clear up nicely assuming you are also running an effective skimmer.

Nothing is really wrong ... I have a good skimmer (atleast as good as you can fit in the back chamber of an aquapod) and all of my parameters are in check. The water just doesn't look sparkly clear like some other systems that I have seen. It just kinda looks dull even with the 250w 14k MH on it.

When I first set the system up I had a bag of carbon stuffed between the two chambers but after a few days it started impeding the flow of water into the second chamber and my ATO pumped a bunch of ro water in and almost caused a huge salinity drop. I am looking for a safer way to run carbon without the chance of impeding the flow and filling my tank with ro water.

no I dont really have any problems other than the water being a little dull .... I am just looking to make my tank the best it can be. I want to make sure that I have everything in line before I start spending lots of money on coral.

I have been paying lots of attention to other tanks recently and you can just tell the water is much clearer in some tanks thank others and mine just isnt as clear as some of the others that I have seen.

Purigen would be a good option, Im just wondering what it is thats keeping your water from being clear, something else must be going on.... If you have suspended particulate matter in the water, the skimmer 'should' be removing it. I know that sometimes if you have any inhabitants that are actively disturbing a sandbed, you may encounter some clarity issues, a mechanical filter like a temprary canister with filter floss and carbon should take care of that.

guess I just cant explain it but for some reason the water just looks like it shines or something when you are running the carbon or purigen. I guess it wont hurt anything but my wallet to go ahead and get the reactor. If nothing else it should help my system be a little more stable when I start adding corals next month.

a bag of purigen will run you $8...

+1 on the purigen. Works fantastically. No worries about washing your carbon. Also it recharges easily meaning you don't have to buy more. Bonus is that you get to see it work as it turns brown/yellow from absorbing organics.

I used to have a bag of purigen and a bag of chemipure sitting next to the skimmer when I had that tank. I think the difference is I was not using an ATO, thus didn't run into the issues you are having.

I have the BRS Dual reactor and love it! It's big though.

I picked up some extra tubing at Lowe's or Home Depot and have it sitting on a TV table next to my 58.

It's built like a tank, holds a butt load of media, and is reasonably easy to clean. I'm feeding mine via a MJ1200.

If you are not having any problems at the moment, other than a lack of clarity, go for the single. It will take up less room, is plenty big for a 24, and you can double stack media if you need to add GFO.

Ok so I am planning on getting the double even though it is over kill for the 24g but I plan on getting a bigger tank in the future.

I am planning on running GFO in one chamber and then running purigen in the bottom of the second with some chemi-pure on top of it. I dont know how well the chemi-pure will work in a reactor but I am going to give it a shot I think.

• 2 weeks later...

fyi re: purigen

from

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/seachem/34090-purigen-filter-bags-2.html

q:

somebody told me that using API stress coat or tap water conditioner would make the Purigen useless because they(api) contain a certain enzyme..i can't remember what , but starts with an "a". this enzyme reacts with purigen negatively. is this true or is it bc they (seachem) only wants you to use their products?

a from seachem:

Certain slime coat products/conditioners(those that are amine-based polymers) will render Purigen non-regenerable. What these polymers will do is bind to the Purigen; when attempting to regenerate the resin, they will then bind with chlorine in the bleach to form chloramine, which can be released into the aquarium. This is not just an issue with Purigen but with all resins being sold in the pet trade. The problem only occurs when one attempts to regenerate the resin, there is no problem unless you wish to regenerate the resin you are using. Seachem products do not contain amine- based polymers and are therefore safe to be used in conjunction with not only our resins, but also with other companies' resins.