Frag plugs

Razor

What am I suppose to do with the frags attached to plugs? I know this may be a silly question, but I've never really thought about it until it became an issue. How do I get the frag from the plug to the live rock? I don't mind the plugs being in the tank temporarily, but I eventually want them out. What do you all do?

I think the idea is they stay. The coral grows onto the plug, stick the plug in your rock somewhere, and eventually the frag spills over onto the rock.

I suppose you could always cut the frag off the plug, but then you need to figure out how to attach the frag to your rock(epoxy?).

I have done both, kept some frags on plugs, and taken some off. These were with zoas, so it depended on if the zoas were also attached to another rock on the plug. If I could get the rock/zoas off then I did and glued/epoxied them to the rock. If I could not, I just used a bunch of epoxy to stick the plug on (or between) the rocks. It looks a little ugly at first, but once algae, and the coral, covers over the epoxy, it looks fine.

I personally like to keep the frag plugs. I use the coraline colored reef putty and it works pretty well, besides the smell. I like that I can go ahead and take it out later fairly easily as the reef putty holds but not incredibly well. Then again, I like moving frags around so...

• Like 1

Here is what I like to do. I prepare some dry rock rubble for frag mounting, large enough pieces that can't be knocked around. I cut the frag about 1/4" above the plug, of course this is for SPS, and mount the frag to the rock with some super glue. I then place the frag into the tank at a desired location. I then place the plug in my tank somewhere to quickly heal and grow out. I then offer it up for free, trade or sale depending upon what it cost me originally. I usually can get rid of them within 2 weeks. That way I get a nice piece and then I can help out another reefer for next to nothing.

• Like 1

Here is what I like to do. I prepare some dry rock rubble for frag mounting, large enough pieces that can't be knocked around. I cut the frag about 1/4" above the plug, of course this is for SPS, and mount the frag to the rock with some super glue. I then place the frag into the tank at a desired location. I then place the plug in my tank somewhere to quickly heal and grow out. I then offer it up for free, trade or sale depending upon what it cost me originally. I usually can get rid of them within 2 weeks. That way I get a nice piece and then I can help out another reefer for next to nothing.

I agree with vwmike great thinking caferacermike.

Anyone have something cool like this for other corals?

Edited by austinaquaman

^^^ awww, thats so sweet... :D I use live rock rubble for plugs, if something I receive comes on a funky looking plug, I trim it to fit a hole in the rock somewhere.