Ice to cool off mixing saltwater?

chrisfowler99

I mix my saltwater up in my garage...with the heat these days the water is way too warm to add to the tank. Last time I did it it drove the temp up 3 degrees with a water change just over 10%

I was thinking about filling a couple of gallon zip-lock bags with water, mixing the salt water up, then dropping the bags of ice in a while before doing the water change.

I could have a heater going to prevent it from getting "too" cool...though I kinda doubt that will happen.

The ice seems like a good idea. You could also do the evaporate cooling in conjunction, I don't think it would effect the salinity too much. I'm assuming you have a powerhead to mix the salt which will also help keep a consistent temperature in the mixture. You might take notes and see how long it takes to lower the temperature and how much ice to use. It is not critical, but it is good to know what kind of window you are working with for getting the new saltwater in your tank.

You all don't have an extra chiller in the garage for your water changes?

JK I do the same as dapettit. On a much smaller scale. :)

My mixing "tank" (read: garbage can) is in the garage, so there's no pumping it inside first.

As for a chiller in the garage...I've got a freezer...to freeze ice in. :)

Just make sure the bags are good and sealed, Might even think about using DI/RO water, can you freexe that stuff hmmmm? If the bags leaked it may not affect the chemistry of the water but then. . .

Dave-

I have the same trouble and this is my solution. It is similar to your bag idea but I kept having issues with pin holes or leaking from the seal. I now use juice or soda (2l) bottles that are more durable / heavy duty plastic and cap. I fill it up about 3/4 with water and then freeze it. I basically just pull them out, throw them into the mixing bucket (trashcan) the day I plan to do the water change. It brings the temperature down to where I can do a final check on salinity and then perform water change. By that time they're completely melted and just throw them back into the freezer for the next water change. You might try that.

I mix my saltwater up in my garage...with the heat these days the water is way too warm to add to the tank. Last time I did it it drove the temp up 3 degrees with a water change just over 10%

I was thinking about filling a couple of gallon zip-lock bags with water, mixing the salt water up, then dropping the bags of ice in a while before doing the water change.

I could have a heater going to prevent it from getting "too" cool...though I kinda doubt that will happen.

OK so how do you get the water from the garage to the tank? I just put my Brute 40 in the living room by the tank for about 24 hours. It is not too intrusive I don't think but my wife still complains. I like to do it on Thursdays cause she is gone all day at work then off to Yoga class at night. That minimizes her exposure.

I keep my Brute in the garage under my RO/DI. I mix the saltwater in the garage thus my issues with increased temperatures due to my closed garage. I use a Mag 9.5 for mixing and then for the water change attach 35ft of flexible tubing to the pump and fill up that way.

My water change consists of 45 gallons and once it is at the right temperature / salinity it takes about 15 minutes total to drain the sump / tank and then replace with the new water using the Mag 9.5. It took a few times to get an accurate reading of how much water I'm removing since I just drain it into my yard, but once that was established, it is a quick 15 minutes.

Before I used to do the same thing with putting a bucket next to the tank. In my case I had two 15 gallon buckets but I would have to lug 5 gallon buckets of RO / DI water to fill them up. My wife was never happy with two buckets sitting in the house, especially with a toddler dipping his hands into it! The process is much more manageable now with the RO/DI in the garage / Brute underneath it. With the float valve and auto shutoff, I always have 45 gallons available to re fill my top off or begin water change process. It was smooth sailing until a month or so ago when the temperatures were getting into the upper 90's in which case implemented the frozen bottles to manage temperature of the water change water.

OK so how do you get the water from the garage to the tank? I just put my Brute 40 in the living room by the tank for about 24 hours. It is not too intrusive I don't think but my wife still complains. I like to do it on Thursdays cause she is gone all day at work then off to Yoga class at night. That minimizes her exposure.

Edited by rosslonghorns

Have you met my "contraption"? :)

gallery_801_114_241651.jpg

that 50' hose can reach my tank from the garage.

I have the same trouble and this is my solution. It is similar to your bag idea but I kept having issues with pin holes or leaking from the seal. I now use juice or soda (2l) bottles that are more durable / heavy duty plastic and cap. I fill it up about 3/4 with water and then freeze it. I basically just pull them out, throw them into the mixing bucket (trashcan) the day I plan to do the water change. It brings the temperature down to where I can do a final check on salinity and then perform water change. By that time they're completely melted and just throw them back into the freezer for the next water change. You might try that.

That may be the way to go longterm...no bottles, short term. heh

Here is my set up I know we are way off topic but. . .

Pump water from garage to 55 gallon barrel:

med_gallery_251_127_49774.jpgmed_gallery_251_127_31817.jpg

med_gallery_251_127_78206.jpg

Then mix salt and pump into fuge after removing 45 gallons:

med_gallery_251_127_101509.jpg

And my wife encourages it! God I love her!!!!

I vote for the plastic bottles w/frozen RO/DI water in them. If you go the evaporative cooling route, and your garage is still 95 degrees, it won't be real effective.

If you use dapettit's method, you need the wiener dog to make the device work reliably... :angry:

If you go the evaporative cooling route, and your garage is still 95 degrees, it won't be real effective.

Assuming it's not humid, it should actually work alright... but then again, if you spend that time purifying your water, why let it go into the atmosphere?

I just use 2 liter bottles full of RO. Fill them about 80%, freeze them, drop them into the water (I used to use them in my sump in my old house), and then return them to the freezer before bed. I only have about 100g of water in my current set up so I just leave my three 5g jugs inside the house the night before.