Transportation Question

ReeferMadness

So I am on vacation in South Florida and they have some AMAZING aquaria stores around here. My jaw dropped when I went in to a couple of these places when I saw the ammount of livestock they carried. They prices are pretty crazy as well, very nice Ricordias for like seven bux each for example. Needless to say I WANT I WANT I WANT, everything.

My question is: How would coral and fish fare on a 21+ hour drive back to Texas? Also, how on earth would be the safest way to transport the livestock? I am kicking around possibly shipping things back if I need to, but would much rather spend the shipping costs on more goodies. Anyone have any insight on how things would do or any suggestions on packaging? Thanks in advance!

Seeing as they survive 24 shipping in an airplane, I think a 21 hr drive would be fine. Just tell them to pack them like it's an overnight shipping. I'd also do this at the last minute, just before you are leaving town. Buy a cheap Styrofoam cooler to bring them back.

What stores did you go to in S. Florida? Big Als has tons of live stock typically and a nice place to go pick up coral is Coral Reef Farm which if I remember correctly is right off of 95 on Sterling. To your question just bringing the coral back in a styrafoam box or a cooler with the corals and fish double or even triple bagged would be fine. Every time I make it down that way I take it with me on the plane and just check my bags. You got to remember corals and fish are shipped across the world so 21 hours in a car is fine as long as you have enough oxygen in the bags and are sealed properly. Both places I recemmended pack livegoods very well. Also in Ft. Lauderdale area off of Oakland Park Blvd. is Exotic Aquatic and they typically have nice livestock as well. I would stay away from Jawz which is off of Broward Blvd. their tanks never really looked very healthy.

I wasn't trying to knock the idea with my post above. I think it is a great idea if it can be done. I just don't want anyone stuck at the airport and have to turn over their corals to someone who knows nothing about corals.

I think some let you carry things on board, although I do not have any experience. I think Melev from RC documents bringing stuff from Cali back home with him recently. Check his thread there.

That said, I was just saying that companies ship them as cargo, not as passenger carry on.