Filter vs Skimmer

mhart032

I have a oceanic 42g hex stretch with 35 -40 lbs of live rock. i have a penguin 400 filter and a red sea deluxe hob skimmer, right now im using both of these units. for more water flow due to a diatoms problem i was having. i have had people say i only need the skimmer and or i only need the filter. what are your thought on this?

thanks

Matt

I have a oceanic 42g hex stretch with 35 -40 lbs of live rock. i have a penguin 400 filter and a red sea deluxe hob skimmer, right now im using both of these units. for more water flow due to a diatoms problem i was having. i have had people say i only need the skimmer and or i only need the filter. what are your thought on this?

thanks

Matt

Nobody will ever convince me that a tank is better off without a skimmer. I don't care how much scientific evidence you throw at me.....I'll just use the paper it's printed on to clean out all the crud from my skimmer collection cup.

you really dont need the penguin 400 filter. you live rock is all the biological filtration that you need. But you could keep it on the tank and take the bio-wheel off and use it for things like carbon and chemipure. But the bio-wheel will cause nitrate problems. And not to be a downer but the skimmer you have is junk ;) . Read up on it i have seen nothing but bad reviews on it sorry.

my sump has a built-in bio-wheel. Could that part of my continual on-going never-ending can't get rid of nitrate problem?

I would try to take it out little by little if you can. Like taring off a little of the wheel at a time so you dont shock the tank. It looks like you have all the LR you need so it shouldnt be a problem.

Also i agree I would never run a tank with out a skimmer. All it can do imo is help. even if the bio load i real low it helps pot oxygen into the tank

This jibes with Robb's advice to me about a skimmer for my tank. Given my 29g tank, what's the best affordable HOB skimmer?

If you get a red sea skimmer i almost promise you will be getting a new one in the future. The euro-reed skimmers are only $50. more and are sooooo much better. Also take a look at used skimmers. just and fyi

Edited by neal90

This jibes with Robb's advice to me about a skimmer for my tank. Given my 29g tank, what's the best affordable HOB skimmer?

Its not HOB, but it works great. Tunze 9002. Had it in my 20g. It will sit in the corner and blend right in esp. if your tank has a black background.

There is one FS on reefcentral right now, its $150 new.

Im getting a sump tonight so im going to need a new skimmer anyway. i only payed 25 bucks for the red sea and it was already broke in and i havnt had any problems with it.. it works. but im looking at an octopus.

Im getting a sump tonight so im going to need a new skimmer anyway. i only payed 25 bucks for the red sea and it was already broke in and i havnt had any problems with it.. it works. but im looking at an octopus.

herd lots of good things about the octopus skimmers just like with most skimmers get one thats rated a little over your tank size. And with a sump you can get one thats in the sump and i think most in sump-skimmers are better than any hob skimmer