mcallahan

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sponge is very cool!!

And I also like the whisker corals.

Taking notes of the stuff I like... :lol:

The whisker has 6 heads rather than the 3 I ordered. Three are very large, 3 are smaller. I'll be ready to frag as soon as some of the smaller ones grow.

The sponge seems happy, thought I haven't seen the polyps extend as full as in this video: Sponge Video

Once it takes off I'll be ready to frag it for some trades as well. :) Just found some interesting information about it, as the polyps on a sponge seemed odd to me. Post says "It's a sponge with an encrusting zoanthid" and "If sponges are living well in your tank, this will give better chances for this sponge too. I treat mine as the any other sponge, and the polyps - as a separate entity, like yellow polyps."

My live rock has 3 colors of sponge on it, and all seem to be growing so evidently I have good conditions for that half of it. Just hope the zoas on it stay happy.

i only bought one item.it was a rainbow monti.was supposed to be a 3/4 inch frag.it is certainly larger then that.here are some pics

rainbowmonti.jpg

rainbowmontiII.jpg

rainbowmontiIII.jpg

Mike,

Very Nice.....everyones' goodies are looking good. I'll post some pics when I pick mine (someone is babysitting them).

Well, unfortunately the darth mauls didn't make it. They never opened and this morning, they were completely gone. Mark, do I get in contact with Vivid or do you handle that?

Well, unfortunately the darth mauls didn't make it. They never opened and this morning, they were completely gone. Mark, do I get in contact with Vivid or do you handle that?

If anyone has losses related to the vivid order, they have to go through me, so just PM me and we'll make it happen.

Sorry to hear about your loss...I had some once and they lasted for 3 months then overnight they were gone.

My sun polyps are still a no show. Don't think they've done a thing since they were acclimated. I have them in shade at the bottom in med current. Think it's time to move them, and if so, where? (high flow, more light?)

vwmike,

I have them out in the open under 72watt PC lighting and intermediate flow. During the day they always look like they want to come out but don't. The only time I have had them come out naturally was a couple hours after the lights went out and sometime really early in the morning.

I have gotten them to come out during the day once by killing the flow and lightly basting with oyster feast or reef roids. I turn back on the flow and wait and in about 5-10 mins, they start extending their polyps. I kill the pumps again and I feed what amount of the polyps I see with some mysid/cyclopeeze mix and when the first couple of polyps pulls that down, that seems to trigger the whole colony to come out and say hello.

Hope that helps you coax your guys out. Have you not seen them out at all during the night?

My sun polyps are still a no show. Don't think they've done a thing since they were acclimated. I have them in shade at the bottom in med current. Think it's time to move them, and if so, where? (high flow, more light?)

Ours haven't come out either. I moved them this morning to see if they would like a new spot, but still no signs of them opening. Maybe I'll try your feeding method, Ty, and hopefully we'll see some extension.

Yeah,

Give it a shot and see what happens. I believe a pretty decent flow is crucial also because from what I read, they are naturally found in caves with medium to intermediate laminar flow and I just think they won't naturally come out if they know there is no flow to bring them any floating morsels of food. So hence, the flow, kill the flow, bait with food, back with the flow, then kill it again once I've suckered them out.

I've heard that initially to train them it is a good idea to feed them randomly throughout the day, in that case, making them not exactly know when you are feeding them and causing them to stay open for most of the day in anticipation. Haven't had them long enough to verify but willing to try to coax these beauties out. Let me know how it goes with you guys too.

Edited by JeeperTy

Yeah,

Give it a shot and see what happens. I believe a pretty decent flow is crucial also because from what I read, they are naturally found in caves with medium to intermediate laminar flow and I just think they won't naturally come out if they know there is no flow to bring them any floating morsels of food. So hence, the flow, kill the flow, bait with food, back with the flow, then kill it again once I've suckered them out.

I've heard that initially to train them it is a good idea to feed them randomly throughout the day, in that case, making them not exactly know when you are feeding them and causing them to stay open for most of the day in anticipation. Haven't had them long enough to verify but willing to try to coax these beauties out. Let me know how it goes with you guys too.

Sounds like a PITA!

Here are a few pics:

Duncans or Whisker Coral

post-780-1244480790_thumb.jpg

Cherry Bombs

post-780-1244480849_thumb.jpg

Hawaiian Tropics and Mystical Palys (from previous order)

post-780-1244480897_thumb.jpg

Tubs Blues and Dragonflys

post-780-1244481367_thumb.jpg

post-780-1244481314_thumb.jpg

Ice Blues

post-780-1244481656_thumb.jpg

Alien Moon Favia - it doesn't really look like it yet, but hopefully it will color up over the next few weeks.

post-780-1244481738_thumb.jpg

We got some other stuff too, but the pictures didn't come out all that great. For the most part, I am happy with this order. Just wish that the darth mauls would have made it :lol:

vwmike,

I have them out in the open under 72watt PC lighting and intermediate flow. During the day they always look like they want to come out but don't. The only time I have had them come out naturally was a couple hours after the lights went out and sometime really early in the morning.

I have gotten them to come out during the day once by killing the flow and lightly basting with oyster feast or reef roids. I turn back on the flow and wait and in about 5-10 mins, they start extending their polyps. I kill the pumps again and I feed what amount of the polyps I see with some mysid/cyclopeeze mix and when the first couple of polyps pulls that down, that seems to trigger the whole colony to come out and say hello.

Hope that helps you coax your guys out. Have you not seen them out at all during the night?

Nope, haven't seen them yet but haven't looked after dark. I've seen them look like they were coming out a time or two but nothing. I did move them to higher current and further out of the cave. Will try your method tonight and see what happens.

My whisker corals are greedy, always hungry, and I'm loving them. Laugh my butt off when my coral banded shrimp robs them of food though. :lol:

They have lots of goodies on sale this week, already salivating for order 5. Mark, you ready to start organizing?

Yep. I have a request from another member to have one to end at the end of the month (June).

I wanted to wait till I talked to the store owner this weekend about them becoming an official ARC sponsor first so that we could send them another order as a "thank you".

Start picking your goods tho, I'll start organizing on Monday if I don't get the owner this weekend.