What is this? It looks like a star fish.... with out the stars.....

get rid of it. Someone said they eat zoas...

I have noticed my zoas have been looking a little down lately. I just wonder where it came from. I have had the zoas for about 1 year now and they always opened up great and ever since I got 2 new cleaner shrimp from (hate to say it PETCO) I noticed the zoas not opening and almost retracting. I wonder how it got in my tank?

I just looked on the back glass of my tank and guess what? 7 more, i saw my coarline algea going away but i thought it was because i wasnt adding iodine as often and just stuck to straight water changes to battle a GHA problem i have developed over the past couple of months. Are they safe to grab with your hands? how do i check my zoas to see if there are any atacking (which i am sure there are) them?

Edited by Nathan Explosion

They are safe to pick them off w/ your fingers or if you prefer use a pair of tweezers. One could of hitch on a piece of liverock or coral plug.......just remember, if you don't want them in your tank......inspect anything new (coral or liverock) before placing it in your display tank. Some hobbyists don't mind having them in their tanks and others just prefer not to. IMO and this is speaking from experience I don't care too much for them. They started to multiply like crazy and the next thing they're munching on the purple coraline.....leaving white patches all over.

-Cindy-

Yeah there is mixed opinion on them. I have one and he has been fine. Those harlequin shrimp would get rid of them if you would like to go that route but once he wipes them out you will need to provide more starfish as that's all they eat. I read that they used to be sought after as people thought that your tank was healthy if you had them. But some species have reportedly eaten zoas . I wish mine would eat my coraline algae as it is such a pain to clean off sometimes.

There are a couple of different kinds that look alike and we all call them asterinas. Most of the ones that I have encountered have been harmless. I think they are really neat to watch and they multiply rapidly.

Your choice to keep or remove them.

this is what i have heard. The starfish with six or more legs are ok to keep, reason being they do not get big and do not eat zoas. On the other hand you have ones with less than six legs that can get big and might eat zoas.

This is only something i heard in a similar thread on another site.

Good luck!