Skimmer recommendations?

Paul

This Coralife Skimmer is - a hunk of junk - and that's being polite. It overflows, produces little skimmate, is noisy, and worst of all, is absolutely horrid about producing microbubbles.

Anyone care to share their recommendations for a skimmer, preferably one that sits in the sump, sized for a 65g

tank?

My preferences would be: Effective, quiet, on the small side, modest cost, auto water level adjustment (if needed), drain line from the collection cup, nice if it comes matched with the correct pump. And good about not flooding the tank/sump with microbubbles!

Ideally, it would be a model someone has in stock that I can go pick up today. But I can live with the delay if I need to order it off the net.

-Paul

This Coralife Skimmer is - a hunk of junk - and that's being polite. It overflows, produces little skimmate, is noisy, and worst of all, is absolutely horrid about producing microbubbles.

Anyone care to share their recommendations for a skimmer, preferably one that sits in the sump, sized for a 65g

tank?

My preferences would be: Effective, quiet, on the small side, modest cost, auto water level adjustment (if needed), drain line from the collection cup, nice if it comes matched with the correct pump. And good about not flooding the tank/sump with microbubbles!

Ideally, it would be a model someone has in stock that I can go pick up today. But I can live with the delay if I need to order it off the net.

-Paul

I started with a coralife and it was a POS. I feel your pain.

I've since switched to a euroreef and had good results. There is an rs80 for sale in the for sale section that would be great for a 65g

I've had several skimmers (including the big Elos one) and keep coming back to the Euro-Reef. IMO you can't go wrong with one, and from I understand if you want to go used you can normally find an RS80 (? - whatever their smaller one is) on one of the threads (ACR, MAAST, RC).

Stephen

Well Euro-Reef certainly gets some impressive recommendations. :lol:

Aquatek has some "Precision Marine" skimmers - about $200 for a model good up to 100 gallons.

Anyone have anything experience with it or have any opinions?

Didn't check Rivercity, but may run by there tomorrow.

Also, a few folks are telling me the ASM skimmers are awesome. ??

+3 for Euro-Reef

If I plan to be heavily stocked in SPS within the next year should I still go to the Euroreef RS80?

In a 75? Should be fine. If you wanted to go up to the 100, you could do that. I always like overkill...that's why I need a new sump = skimmer too big for my current sump

If the choice is between the euroreef and the precision marine, then I would definitely go with the euroreef. I ran a PM Bullet 2 on an aquarium I used to have and it did a decent job of skimming IF you could keep it tuned. Keeping the collection cup clean was a royal PITA due to the 10 or so thumbscrews, and with all the maintenance I never could get it to perform quite like I was hoping. IMO not at all worth the money. Hopefully others have had better luck, since it is a local company, but I wanted to share my experience.

Another for ER.

I have owned an RS80 and it was super perfect on my 75g. A lot less finicky than the RS135 I now run. It was just so much better matched for the set up. I absolutely would not drill it for a remote catch. I don't understand why so many folks like doing this. The skimmer is just so much more efficient when the neck is clean. If you do a remote catch then you'll never bother to clean the skimmer body and it won't work as well as it could. I emptied mine about 1-2 times a week and gave the collection cup a thorough cleaning.

List of ER skimmers I've owned or currently own

RS80

RS135

RC180

CS12-5-RC4 The largest normal run skimmer made by ER at one point.

You might consider Reef Octopus. They are a decent skimmer for the money. Several of the other brands being sold are the exact same skimmer. Obviously they are made by one company and engraved with whatever name you want on them.

I am leaning towards the Vertex skimmer(s) right now, but I am confused by the "precisionmarine" reference. The Precision Marine skimmers appear to be quite different from the Vertex ones... ?

Vertex is also making some great skimmers at a decent cost. precisionmarine carries them.

The current skimmers I have been researching and looking at are, in no particular order:

Precision Marine Redline RL100 at about $200

Vertex IN80 at about $200

Deltec Turbo at about $1100 (ouch!)

Aqua-C EV120 t about $340

Asm G1 at about $170

Eshops InSump at about $120

Aqua-C Urchin at about $200

Marineland all in one for about $220

Reef Octopus Extreme 160 for about $290

MSX 160 for about $270

Warner Marine S125 for unknown price

i-Tech 100 - unknown price

SWC Various models - $500+

I looked at ATB and Bubble King as well, but ruled them out based on size and cost.

Check out the new Alpha cone skimmers by Vertex. They're manufactured by Royal-Exclusiv. Also the pump is awesome.

I'm planning on purchasing the Alpha 200 model for my 180 gallon once it is available as the 250 is way overkill plus too big for my sump.

They have another smaller model available, I think the 170. Premium Aquatics has a presale on them right now.

I was also looking at the MSX Cone with Askoll and potentially the Warner Marine cone but don't like the fact it uses a Sicce.

Mark meant to say Premium Aquatics not precision marine. I have the Vertex 250. It is a nice skimmer for the money. It is a bit finicky though and hard to get dialed in, but once you do it skims REALLY well. I would go bigger than you think you need if you want an SPS dominated tank. In the Vertex I would get the 100, in the ASM get the G2 etc. I would rather be over skimming than under.

Check out the new Alpha cone skimmers by Vertex. They're manufactured by Royal-Exclusiv. Also the pump is awesome.

Those are sweet. Budget busters perhaps, but real sweet. I'm still veering towards the Vertex IN80 or IN100 models

myself.

-Paul

In the Vertex I would get the 100, in the ASM get the G2 etc. I would rather be over skimming than under.

Thanks - I think the 100 is the model I am zeroing in on, partly because it is a tad bit shorter, and height is an issue. :)

-Paul

I have a Vertex IN 100 and I love it! Great bang for the buck! The IN 100 is shorter than the IN80, so if you think you might need a shorter skimmer to fit under your stand check it out!

That looks like a sweet setup, and it is sure pushing up a lot of foam!

Did the 100 come complete, or was there bits you had to buy separately?

-Paul

It is a plug and play skimmer. Mine does have a couple mods, I like DIY type stuff to see how I can make something even better. LOL! This skimmer is great right out of the box. The gate valve mod makes it easier to dail the skimmer in, and the mesh mod chops the bubbles up even smaller. This stuff is really not needed! I just cant keep my hands of of stuff. :)

That did it - I just ordered one of the Vertex IN 100 Generation 2 jobs. :) Thanks for all the advice guys.

I choose the Vertex because it was priced right, everyone that has one seems to love it, it is quiet, and will fit under my stand.

Looked at one today, and it was instant "okay - I gotta have that..."

-Paul

I have a Vertex IN 100 and I love it! Great bang for the buck! The IN 100 is shorter than the IN80, so if you think you might need a shorter skimmer to fit under your stand check it out!