Bubble Algae

Rjohn

I just discovered bubble algae in my tank. Short of breaking it down, boiling the rocks and sand, and starting completely over, is there anyway to control it or preferably, eliminate it? I have heard that emerald crabs will help. Any suggestions?

I just discovered bubble algae in my tank. Short of breaking it down, boiling the rocks and sand, and starting completely over, is there anyway to control it or preferably, eliminate it? I have heard that emerald crabs will help. Any suggestions?

How much do you have? I have 4 bubbles in my tank that my chalice is trying to grow over, so I just ignore it

I've got some, but I like the look of having a few green marble-looking things in the tank. ; ) Whenever they get too numerous, I just carefully cull them by hand. If you're really looking to eliminate them, yes, an emerald crab or two will help, plus the usual nitrate/phosphate reduction techniques. I've also read of folks on RC who've had rabbits and foxfaces who would eat bubble algae.

Hope that helps!

Derry

I have a bunch of little bubbles over some pieces I cannot easily remove. I have a foxface in the tank. I have been having a nitrate issue. I'll have to work harder on it. I think I will begin the hunt for a couple of emarald crabs.

Emerald crabs sometimes work. I had a few bubble algae bubbles near the base of some SPS. The emerald crab ignored it. But a pencil urchin came right up and ate all of it, along with a small chunk of the SPS :D

Edited by seahorsejl

Velonia showing up is a clue that your water quality is slipping. Pick up a couple of emerald crabs, step up your water testing, changes, and husbandry, and don't let this stuff get out of control. It can and if it does, you'll be sorry. I lived through this sort of thing and it was a nightmare that required skuttling the whole tank, scrubbing the live rock, and basically, starting over.

When I see bubble algae forming in my 120gal display, I pay attention. I step up water changes to control nitrate, phosphate and the like, change my carbon, and make sure my army of 6-8 emeralds is present and accounted for. If they have died off, I add back to ensure these little guys are working for me.

It isn't something to send you into hysterics, but don't overlook the sign that your water quality is not what it should be. Every display will have a little bit of this stuff hanging around in a nook or cranny, but when you see little bits mysteriously appearing where it was not a week or two prior, that is the clue that it is on the march and that some changes in husbandry are in order.

I have been fighting it for years. At first I thought it was cool then it and aptasia over ran my tank. I had to scrub it all out. The aptasia never came back but the **** bubble algea is persitant. I have tried everything. At one point I had 10 emeralds in the tank and the stuff kept on growing. Now I just remove the bigger ones manually and live with the rest. Im currently setting up a 20 long and stuffing it with cheato to see if that will get rid of the rest. Good luck