Announcing the May Austin Reef Club meeting.

caferacermike

I'd like to thank acummins, Mark, for offering to host the May meeting at his home.

Folks the meetings have been getting larger and larger each month, I'm hoping this one is a complete blowout. It's been great seeing so many new faces mixed in with the regulars at each meeting, if you have not been yet please consider a visit.

The details:

May 16th at 3:00pm

address removed

Mark has asked for a formal announcement that he would like to host a genuine frag/fish/equipment swap. This sounds to me like the big one everyone has been waiting to see get put together. There has been plenty of frag swapping going on at the previous meetings but this one is for real. Let's get a thread started about this and what wants, concerns, or suggestions you might have.

I am in need of host volunteers for future meetings. If you've enjoyed yourself at a previous meeting please consider offering us a place to meet up at. PM me with your interest.

Some ideas I've had for frag swaps.

1. All bags shall be well marked. Use a Sharpie to label the bag with your name, description of the coral IE: Ultra Gonzo LE Soli "RARE", or Green Slimer, or if all you have is "red SPS, grows fast" that will work so long as it is labeled, and what you want for it.

2. Let's create a points system to assist with the trading. The swaps I've been to have always had awkward moments when people are unsure if their coral is good enough to trade with. I think it would be novel to attempt placing a point number on your corals value. Using a system of 1-5 to grade your frag based upon color, size of frag, availability or care would be great. Using green slimer as a base I'd label it with a "2" as it is not ultra rare but is a nice coral and easy to care for. I'd rate a 1" piece of green star polyps as a "1" but maybe a rock covered in GSP a "3". If I had a piece of true Efflo to trade I would grade it as a "5" for rarity and original cost to me. Then when we are all milling about we can offer trades of "equal" value. Of course the points are what we as an individual place upon the coral and the decision will still rest with the trader themselves as to whether they want what you have to offer.

3. If you are looking for a particular type of coral or wish to exclude a type of coral for consideration please label your bags accordingly. Some SPS reefers will balk at trading for mushrooms or softies because the fast growing nature of these corals can conflict with their final mission. So if you are mainly looking to trade for zoas put that on your bags, if you wish not to have any softies put "no soft corals" right there on your bag.

4. If you are willing to sell frags for cash put the asking price on the bag. If there is one thing I hate it's seeing people change their price for each person. It borders on discrimination in my book. If you are willing to give a discount for buying quantity, let it be known either on the bag or on the box you brought them in.

5. If you are bringing equipment to sell or trade please put a price, your name, and description of the product.

Example of a clearly labeled bag.

caferacermike (Mike P)

Orange Ricordia with blue mouth

3 or $30

no sps

FishBob (Bob F)

Red Blasto Wellsi 4 heads

5 or $40

zoas, no leathers

Nubeenano (Jennifer S)

orange zoas

Labeling like this can help make a quick determination if something will work for you and if you have something to trade. If I wanted Bob's Blasto I might offer my Ric and $10, maybe Bob will be nice and say that my Ric is good enough for him. Maybe Bob is in a good mood and walks over to Jen's orange zoas and decides to make her day by offering his Blasto's for her Zoa. Maybe you have 3 good "2's" in your box so you put them together as an offer to Bob.

Comments. suggestions, ideas? This is not a set in stone guide but just some ideas I've had to help take the awkwardness out of trading. All comments and suggestions will be considered valid and will try to be accommodated. Again this is your, our, everyone's reef club so if your idea can make it better or easier I'm all for it.

huh? :D (actually it makes sense to me and I think that's a good way to do it)

I think another suggestion would be to have people post pics of what they are selling/trading so we can all see what the corals look like under the tank lights.

These pics could be posted in a thread on ARC, or you could print out a picture of what you have and bring it with you.

Heck yeah Mark. Thanks for volunteering to start a thread and outline it with a template such as above, for previewing frags, fish, inverts, and equipment. Update this thread once you started it. Where to put it, "General Discussions"?

Heck yeah Mark. Thanks for volunteering to start a thread and outline it with a template such as above, for previewing frags, fish, inverts, and equipment. Update this thread once you started it. Where to put it, "General Discussions"?

I'd say in the "trade/free" section. If someone is selling, then they'll be denoting it in their thread, but at least its all in one area.

All-

I'd suggest that people bring a tailgating/folding chair as formal seating is somewhat limited at my place. If you want to stand all day, that's cool!

Also, I don't have kids so there is no playscape/swings/slides, but there is a fenced backyard if you want to leave your kids outside for several hours while you talk tank...

Finally, we have a yellow lab and pug (both harmless), but in case you are allergic to dogs, I wanted to let you know.

All-

I'd suggest that people bring a tailgating/folding chair as formal seating is somewhat limited at my place. If you want to stand all day, that's cool!

Also, I don't have kids so there is no playscape/swings/slides, but there is a fenced backyard if you want to leave your kids outside for several hours while you talk tank...

Finally, we have a yellow lab and pug (both harmless), but in case you are allergic to dogs, I wanted to let you know.

Will tables be set up for the frags. I noticed alot of boxes and cooler laying around put no to attend or ask questions. If need I have a folding table about 5 ft and card table if need. Oh and that day is my birthday!

Another good way to display your pieces is to bring them in the little ziplock tubs with the screw on lids. I forgot how handy they were, even when I wrote the above ideas, and yet last night I went out with 20 of them to Brian's house to transport frags home in. The nice thing is that you can open them and look directly at the frag instead of through a bag.

• 2 weeks later...
good way to display your pieces is to bring them in the little ziplock tubs with the screw on lids.

Good tip.

One problem I have seen in the past is that the trading space was too small for as many members who showed up.

Good tip.

One problem I have seen in the past is that the trading space was too small for as many members who showed up.

We can use my garage which is 12 ft + deep, or my back porch. Should have plenty of space.

Just need a couple of folding tables and we will be set!

We have some folding tables that we could use. They are 6 feet long. They are at my office, which isn't too far from Mark's place, but we would need someone to transport them, as they won't fit in our rent-a-car.

We have some folding tables that we could use. They are 6 feet long. They are at my office, which isn't too far from Mark's place, but we would need someone to transport them, as they won't fit in our rent-a-car.

c'mon...they'll fit...just look at this guy!

post-632-1240919506_thumb.jpg

I've got some of the 5ftish tables that are white and adjust up higher so you don't have to bend over as far. They aren't qhite as deep as the normal portable tables. I think I have three of those. We can bring them if needed, just let me know.

Dena

i have a rubbermade folding table, very light and sturdy, but like the others, I have a rustang, and can not fit it.

Do like in college...get 4 buddies, but item on roof, each put hand out of window and onto item.

We should find someone with a 400 gal tank, and stage this photo. Someone could photoshop fish in the tank

• 2 weeks later...
What else would you like for us to bring? Food, drinks, etc...

I'll be providing waters, sodas. If some people want to bring food, that would be good. I say some b/c its been my impression from the other mtgs that a lot of food gets brought but not eaten, so I don't think we need a lot.

Oh, and bring your frags! cool.gif

I can transport the Sanfords tables if need be. I have a truck. Let me know.

dapettit is bringing a table. I'd like to have one more for sure so if you could coordinate getting it from them, that'd be great