Spots on Yellow Tang

jrsimank

Hey everyone! I finally have my first potential problem with the tank since Kyle left (I made it almost 3 weeks!). Our yellow tang has these tiny, VERY VERY tiny black dots on her. There are quite a few and I don't see them on any other fish. Is this normal or could she have a parasite or some disease? What's up with this???

Thanks!!

Jennifer

Hey Jennifer!

congrats on the job thus far!

when does Kyle get back?

needed to ask him something.

oh and the answer is:

black spot aka tang disease aka black ich

Give all infected fish a freshwater dip, followed by a formalin bath and continue treatment in a QT.

(and by freshwater they mean fresh RO/DI with no salt...just to clarify)

Yeah. It's called many different names but most commonly Tang Disease, as it is found more on tangs than any other fish. What you can do is get the fish a freshwater dip... leave him in there for about 25 minutes.

Hey Jennifer!

when does Kyle get back?

oh and the answer is:

Give all infected fish a freshwater dip, followed by a formalin bath and continue treatment in a QT.

Thanks! Everyone's input was really helpful. I will give her a dip then. I don't have a QT... and the formalin bath, not sure what that is...

Kyle won't be back until around June 19th. I am pretty sure the tank will look nothing like it did before he left. I have already had to rearrange about half of the corals because the dumb hermit crabs like to knock them all down at night and I can never figure out where they came from. He said I could sell the crabs but that means I have to catch them and they creep me out...

Yeah. It's called many different names but most commonly Tang Disease, as it is found more on tangs than any other fish. What you can do is get the fish a freshwater dip... leave him in there for about 25 minutes.

i think 25 minutes may be a bit in excess try about 5 minutes. i had a problem with ich and i dropped my tank temp down a few degrees. a lot of parasites can not survive cooler temps.

Jennifer

Some of this advice is rather nonchalant for some serious procedures. I have never done a freshwater dip but I know saltwater fish do not like it at all. Perhaps someone can give you a little more info or you might want to google it. You can kill your fish doing this.

Formalin, fyi, is poison which would definitely require a separate QT tank.

Good Luck

Bill

Hey Jennifer!

when does Kyle get back?

oh and the answer is:

Thanks for the advice. So what do you need to ask me?

I had black spots on my tang a while back. Increased the nori and it went away. I could be wrong but I think he needs more veggies. I not very knowledgeable about black ich I just know what I did to cure the black spots. If you need some nori I got pleanty.

If it's not a nutrition issue, it is probably a parasite.

My fish had black ich once. I just used a bucket with tank water and added a formalin based medication (http://www.petco.com/product/102867/Wardle...at=OnSiteSearch; SKU = 1079450). I left my fish in there for about a week, with aeration, fed once a day, and occasionally added AmQuel Ammonia remover.

Edited by Daniel

I had black spots on my tang a while back. Increased the nori and it went away. I could be wrong but I think he needs more veggies. I not very knowledgeable about black ich I just know what I did to cure the black spots. If you need some nori I got pleanty.

Thank you again for the nori!! The tang has already started nibbling on it :) I enjoyed visiting with both of you and seeing your tanks too!

• 3 weeks later...