LED Strip Lights (48 inch, 297 led's)

Rjohn

I purchased a light strip off EBAY from someone in New York. I was skeptical but it was just too tempting. I paid $45, including shipping for the 48 inch strip. There are 3 rows of very bright white led lights (advertised at 10,000 K) in a clear cylinder with a simple plug in. I have to admit I am somewhat impressed with the amount of light. It is not metal halide but for an additional light source generating no heat and using very little electricity for only $45, I think it is worth a look. I will bring the strip to the next meeting and yall can check it out.

Why isn't a 10,000K light described as 10M?

Cool sounding light.

As for 10,000K va 10M. I had a friend of mine who has his PhD in partical physics explain it to me. I can't remember all the details but if I recall corectly, the K is a measure of Kelvin, not a decimal indicator.

-travis

Well the sad thing is that just about everyone makes this number up. There really isn't a 20,000 Kelvin color that looks like the current crop of 20k bulbs. It seems the general rule of thumb is that 6500 Kelvin is daylight and everything higher gets bluer, but most 10k bulbs are a bit on the yellow side. It makes it extremely annoying when you end up with a 20k bulb that is whiter than a lot of 10k bulbs. Use the wrong ballast choice and it makes it even worse!

Get them while you can. I was reading on reefcentral that someone has a patent on this and is sueing companies that make/produce led lighting for the aquarium. Even the moonlights. We will see what the courts say.