Help finding new skimmer

cheetum

whats the best skimmer  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a 110 gal 72x18x20 now I'm ready to expand beyond the few zoo's & fish I now have. I want to get a good skimmer so I'm looking for opinions on the skimmers I looking at. and would like to here feedback if you think I should go with something else. Also is there anyone I the Austin area that can come close to price match, because I live in Temple and no one around here carries these type of skimmers. I do get maast discount if it helps ....ps unless your offering a stimulus package lets leave Bubble King out of this! :shiftyninja:

Edited by cheetum

I have an ASM G3 and love it. Pulls out lots of skimmate, easy to clean, and most importantly, never needs adjusting after initial setup.

I think I paid over $300 from an online dealer.

Edited by pbnj

I have the reef octopus recirculating 150. It works pretty good IMO. I think my old EV-150 worked better, but this skimmer does almost as good a job while using a much smaller (less power) pump. I just gravity feed it from the drain and the little pump on the side does the rest.

I would go with a recirculating model regardless of brand. I would research rc there is tons of info there on skimmers.there are even skimmer club/forums deltec club, das club, ect. here is a link to das which I decided on a few years ago. Its basically a deltec w/o the deltec price.

http://stores.petorama.net/Detail.bok?no=73

From your list, Reef Octopus then ASM. I prefer Euroreef myself and have several of them. Check my skimmer thread for an idea of how much I like them. Deltec are very nice but not worth the coin. I've seen a lot of Aqua-C in use and personally it's an outdated design that needs to be put to rest. Chances are very good that for $230 you will only be getting the skimmer and will still need an additional $100 for yet another pump. That other pump will take up more space from your sump, cost more in electricity, and the extra wattage can add heat to the tank. Needle wheel pumps are really the way to go for the most current design. The Reef Octopus is a good Euroreef clone for design and performance. You might check locally at Aquadome as they were selling them from the shop a few months back, they might have one you can look at and take home. ER is sold both at Aquatek and River City. ASM are getting harder and harder to find. They are an outdated ER clone from a few years back. The secret was that they used a cheap extruded acrylic instead of the much more expensive "cell cast" acrylic which is much stronger. If you were careful with them they provided a very good skimmer for a little less coin than their more expensive brother.