GFO media to use?

julespinkyd

Hello All,

I don't believe that I ever posted here but now that I just purchased a dual stage GFO reactor from BRS I was wondering if any of you can provide me some recommendations on which type of PHOS media and carbon would be the best to buy. I went on ebay and saw many brands from all dollar amounts. I know many of you have had the opportunity to experiment with all this stuff so here I am asking some of you experts. If I pay the higher $$ values, do I get what I paid for or does it all really work the same? Recommendations on media and knowledge support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I use the same GFO supplier on ebay that ty does!  make sure you use a strainer on it dry to get rid of the dust, then use a bowl of RO/DI and rinse off the residual.  for carbon, if you are just starting out, use BRS "BITUMINOUS CARBON" for a month, then switch to 50/50 ROX 0.8/BITUMINOUS CARBON.  No reason to use the expensive stuff to kickstart it when the cheap stuff will do.  on my 50/50, i dont mix them together, I have a BITUMINOUS CARBON layer on the bottom half,  and ROX 0.8 on top half.  If this setup isnt maintaining/keeping up, you'll need to alter your ratio in favor of the ROX. I also make sure my carbon/gfo return line goes into the filter sock... catches the residual you missed, and doesnt get in the tank.  (im frugal, like to experiment on how i can get things cheaper while not sacrificing too much quality... your results may vary)

ebay GFO or whatever you can find cheapest. One thing I will say is get extra mesh filters for the BRS reactors for both GFO and carbon, I run at least 2 in each chamber at the top. It's all too common for me to end up blasting my sandbed with GFO or carbon if my filters get dislodged or I have my flow too high and I grind a bunch of GFO or carbon into dust...

1 minute ago, jestep said:

ebay GFO or whatever you can find cheapest. One thing I will say is get extra mesh filters for the BRS reactors for both GFO and carbon, I run at least 2 in each chamber at the top. It's all too common for me to end up blasting my sandbed with GFO or carbon if my filters get dislodged or I have my flow too high and I grind a bunch of GFO or carbon into dust...

proving what i said about the sock :)

Just now, Isaac said:

proving what i said about the sock :)

Yeah, and then when the sock gets clogged up and water flows over the top, it still happens. I think I need my sump next to my sink or something. That way there's no chance I don't deal with it every day.

Just now, jestep said:

Yeah, and then when the sock gets clogged up and water flows over the top, it still happens. I think I need my sump next to my sink or something. That way there's no chance I don't deal with it every day.

clogged sock, you have other issues than a clogged sock... called lack of maint :(

Archived