C02 scrubber question

Jimbo662

I hooked up a C02 scrubber that feeds air to my skimmer. This has caused the skimmer to run wetter than I normally run it. I was wondering if I'd get the same results by using an air pump / air stone and running air through that and bubbling in the sump somewhere.

Jimbo, I have not tried it. I used to run a c02 scrubber hooked to my skimmer. At the time I seem to recall researching your question and I think the concensus was that bubbles in the skimmer had way more contact time with the water than airstone bubbles and so it would be less effective.

Agreed with Jolt but maybe a simple experiment would answer that question for you.

People will probably start calling my Ty Jr if I start experimenting whistle.gif

Well he helped me convince myself to start dosing nitrates into a reef tank, so you aren't alone...

I hooked up a C02 scrubber that feeds air to my skimmer. This has caused the skimmer to run wetter than I normally run it. I was wondering if I'd get the same results by using an air pump / air stone and running air through that and bubbling in the sump somewhere.

I world assume the extra bubbles are raising the water level in your skimmer just adjust it to run a little drier if you wish. I just run my intake line from my skimmer into a breather container I have filled with pelletized Soda Lime. Increases my low pH only about .2 to .3 though. I think the Phosban reactors with CDX media and adapter raise it a little more though. I guess you could hook an air pump to a sealed container and push air through it for better results but this could again raise your water level in the skimmer and call for adjustments for less water to achieve a drier skim.

Archived