Heater dilemma

Hi everyone. I need some input on heaters how many/what size for a 300 gal capacity system. Reed tank. House kept at 68' in the winter. Please chime in with brands and what makes them amazing. Just looking for heat it's in the sump so I don't need many bells or whistles. Thanks

Do you have independent breakers for the electrical outlets running the tank? My main concern with trying to heat 300 or more gallons in a sub 70 degree room is the ambient losses are going to require to use a large heater to keep up. I'd honestly be looking at using something like a 1Kw heating element. I think anything less than about 700W is going to run constantly and you may have a hard time getting above 75 or so degrees.

Finnex makes an 800W titanium heater which is probably what I would be leaning towards. The finnex heaters consist of 2 independent parts, the element and the actual controller. There's some others like Catalina, JBJ, and some others that look very good as well. As far as I have seen most 500W+ heaters use a similar 2 part setup so the heating element can be replaced separately from the controller.

I would not run one of these on a Apex or Reefkeeper power strip unless you use a relay so the full load isn't on the apex power strip. In any case, calculate the load on the outlet it's attached to along with whatever else you have plugged into the same circuit. An 800W heater is going to pull close to 8A by itself which is more than half a normal 15A 120V breaker's capacity. If you have MH lighting or large pumps on the same circuit you could easily end up tripping your breaker every time the heater turns on.

Generally you need 3-5 watts per gallon for the heater to do what you want it to do. An undersized heater may not be able to make up the temperature differential that you are looking for, or if it gets close it will be on constantly.

It is quite possible because the actual gallonage a 500W heater may suit your purposes but you would have to try it and monitor your results, you may have to go to multiple heaters. Now, we do carry 800 and 1000w titanium heaters which might be an option.

Hope this helps;

Gary

I use dual heaters in my system. Less likely to have a heat event disaster. I use two Finnex 300 watts on a 175 total gal system to include sump. And my house is at 68F during winter where I keep my tank at 79F On your system I'd recommend the 500 watt series X2

Here's a link to Fish Direct for these guys. Nice price too. Probably can find in a couple of places.

Oh and easy enough to add a third if needed.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/finnex-500-watt-hma-titanium-heater-500w-hma-heater.aspx?gclid=CMGMktyB6NACFYZKDQodcroO2A

I don't have the system running yet but wanted to replace the heater I have with the one I will need for the upgrade. I have Richard L's tank begging to be gotten wet. Life got in the way for a bit. I am having an electrician install a separate outlet and breaker for the tank. I am sure to be asking questions regarding that in the near future. For now thanks for all the info. Do you like the single heater. I have been reading and see 2 heaters recommended on some sites. I do plan to put an apex on it. I have LED lighting and 2 wave pumps.

I thought Richard's tank was about a 215-gallon gallon tank? If so, plus sump, minus rock/sand, you're probably only really running maybe 250 gallons, which is about what I am running. I have used the same 800 watt Titanium Finnex heating element for the last 3-4 years with no issues ever. Its controlled by my Apex. House kept at 68 at night, 72 during the day.

Archived