ljcilindro's Red Sea REEFER 250

ljcilindro

Hi guys! Recently got a Red Sea Reefer 250. It is currently filled up with freshwater for a leak test. Other equipment that i have are :

Skimmer : Octo Classic 110 - INT

Return Pump : Sicce Syncra Silent 3.5

Light : 36" BML 14K

I am still going to be getting other equipment once my leak test is done. So far the tank and pump are running flawlessly. I will be using live rock and crushed coral from my old Mr. Aqua 12 gallon and buy some additional live rock.

One thing I noticed right now is the water level is off by .25" horizontally left to right. Should I put shims to make it level ? Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to learn a lot from you guys here [emoji3]

2010c0e633bfe08c2a82b005d66bc8be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd shim it. And don't be stingy with the shims. :) Drain the tank, shim the corners to make the tank level front and back, then place additional shims along the stand to have a constant contact point on all sides.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok then, i will be shimming it. So after draining the tank, I guess I need to disassemble some of the plumbing underneath the tank then remove the tank off the stand ? Or do you guys have other methods to do it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would leave the tank and stand assembled and shim under the stand. I'm sure the tank to stand plane is flat is most likely your floor that isn't completely level. Use the biggest level you have or can afford. I use a 6' level myself. A 3' would work. A 12" or 8" isn't enough. Level side to side first then level front to back.

Thanks for all the replies [emoji4]. I got me some composite shims from Home Depot over the weekend. Now I realized that the Red Sea stand has some small nylon "feet" on the bottom of the stand. I count 8 of them. So it's those "feet" that are actually touching my tile floor. I guess I need to put the shims under those "feet" ?

Thanks for all the replies [emoji4]. I got me some composite shims from Home Depot over the weekend. Now I realized that the Red Sea stand has some small nylon "feet" on the bottom of the stand. I count 8 of them. So it's those "feet" that are actually touching my tile floor. I guess I need to put the shims under those "feet" ?

Do the feet turn? Maybe they are leveling feet? If not then you'd have to shim under them.

Do the feet turn? Maybe they are leveling feet? If not then you'd have to shim under them.

I don't think they turn. They are just tall enough so that the base of the stand is about a quarter of an inch off the floor. Not sure why Red Sea made it that way. I will shim under them then ...

5023797b6d5fbc564dbcc29f9fdcac54.jpg

So I was able to level the tank with composite shims. Transferred some rocks and crushed coral substrate from my old 12 gallon. Got some salt water, more rocks and substrate from Niko's Reef and this is how it looks like right now. So far I am happy with how the tank is running, overflow is silent once I got the diaphragm dialed in. Only problem I have now is some microbubbles that are coming into the display tank. I can't figure out the reason for it. Maybe you guys have any ideas ?

I get microbubbles sometimes when the water level of my sump drops and the water begins falling more into the section of the sump where the return pump is. The falling action creates bubbles that get sucked into the return and turned into tons of little tiny bubbles. It goes away whenever I get the ATO refilled and the water level of the sump returned to eliminate the falling water.

Is there a bubble trap in between the skimmer and the return pump? If not that could be a cause of microbubbles. Can you take a picture of the sump?

Yup. It has a bubble trap. Pics are below. I turned off the skimmer thinking it was the cause of the microbubbles but there still some coming into the display tank even when the skimmer was off.

78cd018beca25feb4cb1ecf07fd9d807.jpg

a13939bcd95f372571f20801442a1d4e.jpg

I don't see anything immediately that would be a cause of the micro bubbles. If you look into the sump do you see any bubbles being produced anywhere around the return pump? Like Gig'em said even large bubbles will turn to little micro ones after going through the pump.

If you can't see any bubbles in the sump, the only things I can thing of is the return plumbing is sucking in air from somewhere, or the water flow from the return in the display tank is creating bubbles from surface agitation. I had this happen during my build and had to add some loc-line nozzles so the return's flow was slightly underwater.

I don't see anything immediately that would be a cause of the micro bubbles. If you look into the sump do you see any bubbles being produced anywhere around the return pump? Like Gig'em said even large bubbles will turn to little micro ones after going through the pump.

If you can't see any bubbles in the sump, the only things I can thing of is the return plumbing is sucking in air from somewhere, or the water flow from the return in the display tank is creating bubbles from surface agitation. I had this happen during my build and had to add some loc-line nozzles so the return's flow was slightly underwater.

I can't see any bubbles in the return section, I will check out the return plumbing.

Archived