Drain/Return size help needed

SChrisEV

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, so mods please move it as needed.

I am exploring upgrading tanks for the move. I need to let the vendor know what size drain and return size. Also the placement. This is the basic placement I was thinking about, and I was thinking a 2" drain (will use herbie style) and 1.5" returns. 2" drains seems fine, I can adjust as needed with herbie (right???), but really not sure on the correct return size. I will be pushing the water from probably about 4 to 5 feet away (external sump)

post-2161-0-37210200-1470943029_thumb.pn

Just to show width, and that no drain/return holes drilled. Might do a closed loop (PVC bottom), very interested in input/experience on that as well.

post-2161-0-85046700-1470943028_thumb.pn

Total tank size will be about 315g, assuming water level about 1 inch from the top of the tank, it will be around 300g water volume.

Love those dimensions. Are you gonna have an external overflow mounted using bulkheads at those three holes? If so, I am curious what size bulkheads the external box will have for fitting your drain lines?

Love those dimensions. Are you gonna have an external overflow mounted using bulkheads at those three holes? If so, I am curious what size bulkheads the external box will have for fitting your drain lines?

That was my plan, external. I've actually just started looking at the Ghost and Reef Savvy overflows.

I don't think those have 2" drains out the bottom? I have a reef Savvy on my frag tank build, and it has 1" drain lines out the bottom. I believe the Synergy reef 20" is 1.5" drains.

I don't think those have 2" drains out the bottom? I have a reef Savvy on my frag tank build, and it has 1" drain lines out the bottom. I believe the Synergy reef 20" is 1.5" drains.

Yeah this drawing was not using (or taking those into account). I was asking for the correct/suggested drain size not using one of those overflows. I was looking as those as an after thought. But you are correct if I go with one of those I will only need two holes drilled for the drain.

If I do go with one of these, I can focus on that is needed for the return. :)

1.5" drain lines is absolutely not needed for either of those overflow boxes. A 1" siphon will flow a tremendous amount. I have 1.5" drains that are mostly closed running full siphon on both with a bean animal.

With a open channel herbie 1.5" won't hurt.

On my 240 I'm running a RODC5500 return pump rated around 1200gph. My drain lines are 1.5" with a Herbie, and as Reburn mentioned, that is plenty. The valve is closed pretty far.

On my 240 I'm running a RODC5500 return pump rated around 1200gph. My drain lines are 1.5" with a Herbie, and as Reburn mentioned, that is plenty. The valve is closed pretty far.

What size if you return pipe? If your sump below your tank? Formed another way, are you pretty much just dealing with the rise of the tank for head pressure?

Sounds like 1.5" drain lines are all I need. Thx

1.5" drain lines is absolutely not needed for either of those overflow boxes. A 1" siphon will flow a tremendous amount. I have 1.5" drains that are mostly closed running full siphon on both with a bean animal.

With a open channel herbie 1.5" won't hurt.

Okay great I made a mistake, I plan on running a bean animal as well. Not sure why I put herbie. :) Thx

Archived