All fish dead overnight in friends tank

Wade

So a friend of mine is texting right now that he woke this morning to find all his fish dead. SPS in RTN, zoas not open, scallops dead. He's checked all parameters and they're in acceptable ranges. No drastic changes detected. The only thing I can think of is an electricity leak. How would he check for that? Is there anything else that could crash a tank that fast (non-parameter wise)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

He reports that one end of the cucumber has a big hole in it so it looks like it did indeed expel it's guts and take the tank down with it. Suicidal/homicidal little turd. So, is the sand and rock trash as well or just need to run some fresh carbon for a few days?

Wow that stinks! If everything is pretty much dead, he may want to do some massive water changes - like 100%. I'm not sure carbon is going to be enough if everything is dead.

I would go with multiple 100% water changes, scrub the rock, and vacuum the sand each time they do a change. Might try running some zeolite as well as carbon and GFO for a while, normally sold in aquarium stores as ammonia remover, looks like white gravel, but it also sucks up a lot of stuff.

Archived