PSA - Bad Hanna Alk Reagents

jolt

Saw this today, and checked my recent purchase from BRS.

All my Hanna Alk reagent came from bad lots. No telling what my ALK actually sits at right now, but I think the reagents read low, so I've been keeping my ALK higher than I thought :(

Good news: Hanna is doing replacements, check yours here:

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

Bad news: takes 2-4 weeks to arrive

• Like 2

All 3 bottles need to be replaced. Nice! Well, as long as the precision is there, I'll forgive the accuracy and continue to use these bottles and just correct for the difference once I receive the replacement bottles to compare them with. Thanks Hanna!

Did anyone see a big drop in thier alk reading?

I missed 5 days of measurements because I went on a ski trip. I think I changed the bottle of reagent the day I came back. Alk dropped from 156ppm to 135ppm over those five days. I thought it was just dosers set too low + a growth spurt kicking in, since that was only about a 4ppm per day drop, so I've slowy raised it back to 156ppm. So I can't tell exactly where I am at now. I've decided to just let it drift down a bit but not much while I wait for new reagent. Corals so far seem fine ...

One thing I learned is to also record when I change reagent bottles in my log.

Did anyone see a big drop in thier alk reading?

I missed 5 days of measurements because I went on a ski trip. I think I changed the bottle of reagent the day I came back. Alk dropped from 156ppm to 135ppm over those five days. I thought it was just dosers set too low + a growth spurt kicking in, since that was only about a 4ppm per day drop, so I've slowy raised it back to 156ppm. So I can't tell exactly where I am at now. I've decided to just let it drift down a bit but not much while I wait for new reagent. Corals so far seem fine ...

One thing I learned is to also record when I change reagent bottles in my log.

I haven't switched bottles yet so I haven't noticed a drop in my alk. Who knows what my actual alk is but everybody is happy so for now, it's all good. We'll find out the real number when the new bottles start arriving. For your case, we're looking at 7.5 dKh to 8.7 dKh. I wouldn't sweat the difference... if they are looking good, whatever the number, I'd leave it alone.

• Like 1

Mine too, thanks for posting about it. What did you guys put for proof of purchase? I assume they want a pic of the receipt but I ordered through amazon.

I sent them a pdf of my BRS receipt. Hopefully that is good!

From what I've read, but not called to verify, is that something happens when the regent comes in contact with the screw top lid. So if you store it on the side it will go bad but if you store it upright it should be fine. This is after you have removed the foil. You can always call Hannah to verify if this is correct.

I never store on the side because I've had leaks too! But while working with the storage case lid open I have to least temporarily put the bottle on its side typically until I close the case lid.

I store mine in all manners including upside down. Maybe I'm just lucky. I have no idea where I bought mine from I just took a picture of the bottles. Hopefully they won't give me any grief.

Both of mine were bad lot 5462 and lot 5151

UPS says I have a package coming from Rhode Island today. I haven't ordered anything, but I know Hanna is in RI. If this is the replacement reagent that was FAST! I only filled in the web page on Jan 26th ....

• Like 2

Ok, got the new reagents today. In back-to-back tests I got:

Old: 155 ppm

New: 157 ppm

That was anti-climactic ..... blink.png

Hilarious! Maybe you stored yours upright enough to not be affected by the white cap. That's why I thanked Hanna for the three free reagent bottles! Let's get alk test crazy!