Woke up to a cloudy tank with grime on top

tennisjad3

Hey all, I woke up this morning to my tank being a bit cloudy. Also there seems to be the slime on top of the tank. I honestly couldn't tell you if this slime has always been there, but I figured I'd mention is because this could be a cause. Anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this?

If it's any help my fish are fine and my corals ssem to be doing fine as well. Well my mushrooms seem withered, but I wasn't at home during the day to see them with the white lights on.

Pictures would help to diagnose if you can take any. Water changes can fix almost anything so hopefully you've already gone that route.

I did a 10% one tonight, so hopefully that clears it up by tomorrow. I'll post one with the lights on tomorrow if it's still looking bad.

The film on the surface of the water is normally due to a block in the overflow weir, if you have an overflow. If there's no problem there then I would check to make sure all of your equipment is working.

+1 Do something to increase surface agitation, like pointing a powerhead up to create a disturbance. And check your overflow, you should be getting agitation from the volume of water exiting the tank. If you're not, figure out what the blockage is.

Two main types of cloudiness

!) Precipitation either Calcium or Alk caused from dosing. If it is this type it will settle onto power heads glass ect...

2)Bacteria bloom This will stay suspended in the water column and not settle on equipment or glass.

If it is precip it will go away on its own rather quickly unless the dosing problem continues. If a bacteria bloom it can persist a little longer but normally goes away on its own unless you are carbon dosing. Neither is significantly detrimental to your inhabitants, however; a severe bacteria bloom that persists can drive down oxygen in the water column and airstones could be used to supplement oxygen reserves until it clears.

• 2 weeks later...

Two main types of cloudiness

!) Precipitation either Calcium or Alk caused from dosing. If it is this type it will settle onto power heads glass ect...

2)Bacteria bloom This will stay suspended in the water column and not settle on equipment or glass.

3) a pump is leaking its oil. I had my skimmer pump go out, mineral oil leaked, tank crashed. Luckily i had 20gals mixed onhand. I did a surface "skim" w/ a hose. about a month later 90% recovered, lost like 4 fish sad.png I now keep 50gals mix ready w/ 50gals RO/DI as well. pump was my only unbranded pump that came w/ the skimmer..... so watch out for cheap pumps!

In my tank, I get white slime on the glass (and in the filters), not on anything else or surface due to vodka dosing. While this isnt BAD (health wise), its not great (just unsightly and clogs the sump), decrease dosing 25-30%, if you are doing that.

Archived