Apartment getting sprayed for pests tomorrow?

tennisjad3

I always suggest finding out if they are spraying or fogging, the latter needs to be taken very seriously with a reef tank. If they're careful and just spraying it's usually ok if they aren't spraying directly around the tank. Turn skimmer off. You can also use saran wrap over the tank and sump to prevent anything from being absorbed out of the air. Most pesticides are a multitude more toxic to aquatic animals than land animals, so either method can cause substantial loss in a reef tank depending on what they're actually spraying with.

I always suggest finding out if they are spraying or fogging, the latter needs to be taken very seriously with a reef tank. If they're careful and just spraying it's usually ok if they aren't spraying directly around the tank. Turn skimmer off. You can also use saran wrap over the tank and sump to prevent anything from being absorbed out of the air. Most pesticides are a multitude more toxic to aquatic animals than land animals, so either method can cause substantial loss in a reef tank depending on what they're actually spraying with.

+1 DO NOT allow your house to be fogged when you have an aquarium. They offered to cover my entire tank and sump with plastic, neglecting the fact that our critters need oxygen to breath.

+1 to all the above.

We had to have our old place treated for bed bugs, which entailed heating up 1 room and spraying the rest of the house. The guys at ABC were great to work with and took a completely different approach when they saw the 215 tank and didn't spray around it or the 75g FW setup.