Do mushrooms sting other corals?

tennisjad3

I've had a colonoy of palys that have been going crazy growing and were open all the time. I moved a mushroom rock next to them and now they look terrible. I also notice 1 head of my frogspawn was touching the mushrooms and it has been shriveled up the past few days. Do i need to isolate the mushrooms in my tank?

Also on that note, what other corals are notoriously aggressive that are LPS/softies? Or are there certain corals that just won't work together?

Also on that note, what other corals are notoriously aggressive that are LPS/softies? Or are there certain corals that just won't work together?

This is what I have experienced.

Palys can go with palys

Zoas can go with zoas

Palys can go with zoas, but the palys will shadow the zoas and eventually win

Mushrooms can go with mushrooms

Acans can go with acans

Torches, hammers and frogspawn can go together

Acans, mushrooms, chalices and favites will win against zoa/palys

Acans and chalices will win again euphyllia

Acans and favites can go next to each other but there will be a dead spot where they war occurs

Chalices will win against acans and favites

Everything wins against pretty sticks

Leathers are nuclear war proof. I don't know how anyone kills them. At the end of time, leathers, roaches and Twinkies will be the only ones left standing.

I'm thinking everything will win against GSP, if it were isolated to one rock and not a structure of rocks. If you had one rock of GSP and dropped an acan or mushroom in the center of it then the new coral would eventually take over the rock. In that case, it would be easier to just remove the rock then go through all of that trouble. The thing about GSP is that it grows in between corals or around coral bases. That's why you never put it on the main structure of rocks. In that case then shade would be the only thing that would remove it.

Palys can go with palys

Zoas can go with zoas

Acans can go with acans

Acans and favites can go next to each other but there will be a dead spot where they war occurs

Leathers are nuclear war proof. I don't know how anyone kills them. At the end of time, leathers, roaches and Twinkies will be the only ones left standing.

Oh that is beautiful, time to isloate mushrooms from the palys. Also on a note to your second post, I have some GSP in a bad place thats approaching my nem rapidly. If I literally laid a nice big chunk of red monti cap directly on top of the GSP would that kill the GSP without hurting the monti?

I'm thinking everything will win against GSP, if it were isolated to one rock and not a structure of rocks. If you had one rock of GSP and dropped an acan or mushroom in the center of it then the new coral would eventually take over the rock. In that case, it would be easier to just remove the rock then go through all of that trouble. The thing about GSP is that it grows in between corals or around coral bases. That's why you never put it on the main structure of rocks. In that case then shade would be the only thing that would remove it.

Hmm, thanks for the info. I bought my tank used when getting into the hobby didn't realize what a pain GSP is or I would have never put it in my tank. In my experience GSP will kill an Acan if its allowed to grow up to it.

Tinnisjad - I think if you can put the red monti where it blocks all of the light it will slow the growth down, but more than likely won't stop it in its tracks. The GSP in my tank still grows even in very low light locations.

The GSP won't hurt the anemone, unless you just want to get rid of the GSP.

• If the GSP is on a rock that doesn't have anything else on it then you could just turn it upside down on your sand bed. The lack of light and flow will kill it and you just keep the rock.
  • If the rock has some corals on it that you want to keep, but want to get rid of the GSP, then I would manually remove it. Take the rock out, scrub the GSP with a wire brush or cut it away from the rock, dip it in a bucket of saltwater to get rid of the debris, and then put it back into the tank.
  • If you don't want to remove the rock, then you could shade it with another rock or coral. It really depends on how much your lights bleed. If the GSP is in a deep shadow then it will die because it can't stretch towards the light like a paly can. It will take longer than manually removing the GSP and you may not get all of it at once.

GSP is beautiful. That's why it's so popular. It looks fantastic under 420 - 450 nm light. If you put a rock of GSP on the sand bed, at least 2" from any other rock, then it won't spread. The GSP will cover the rock and then start to slowly grow over the sand, but it won't encrust. Once or twice a year it will start to get close to the other rocks then you just cut away the part that was growing over the sand. It's wonderful because it's as easy as that. I've never had or heard of a strain of GSP that throws polyps around the tank like Xenia or leather corals.

In my experience GSP will kill an Acan if its allowed to grow up to it.

Tinnisjad - I think if you can put the red monti where it blocks all of the light it will slow the growth down, but more than likely won't stop it in its tracks. The GSP in my tank still grows even in very low light locations.

I have had similar experiences. GSP does pack a little punch. I've had it kill monti, Xenia, palys, and the rhodactis mushrooms that were able to hold it off never extended the way they had before the GSP grew up to them.

Any stinging, encrusting, coral should win against GSP. I've never had Green Starburst Polyp that can sting. I use the method described above and keep GSP away from other rocks. If GSP were touching a monti then it might encrust over the SPS, but I don't believe you will see the montipora dying where the GSP has touched it.

Here is what LA says about them:

"They are a peaceful coral armed with the defensive capability of being able to retract or deflate each of their polyps in response to predation. They will not harm other corals that are placed close to their colony, but are susceptible to being damaged by any aggressive corals in the reef aquarium."

I wonder if there are different strains of GSP? The kind in my tank stings, I'm fairly sure of it. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight, but currently a piece of GSP is killing a portion of an encrusting SPS (not sure of the type) I have just by touching it. Its way in the back of my tank so I'm not sure if I will be able to get the shot.

I do have a picture of the GSP irritating my acan. In the picture you can see the piece of GSP I could not remove from a crack and the acan backing away from it. The acan's polyps used to be almost touching the base rock. No polyps have been killed by the GSP however.

Ml2QxLg.jpg

GSP also took out a torch coral by touching it. Once I noticed what was going on moved it here to take a picture, that is why the GSP is not shown - its normal position was no where near the anemone either.

ZYvvebw.jpg

I have had GSP kill a sunset monti colony. I know it was the GSP because I watched the colony die slowly starting with the side that the GSP polyps had grown to reach. It can definitely pack a punch.

I currently have a gsp colony in a little spec V. The anthelia colony that is in the same tank now has brightly covered shriveled tips on the polyps that can and do reach the gsp.

GSP stings

Why can't all coral just get along mad.gif

Or not die for that matter. Or not grow where it's not supposed to.

Many types od SPS will get along and grow right up to each other and barely not touch and have no warring or brown spots where stinging goes on. I am sure you have looked at some SPS tank pictures and seen them crammed up next to each other and seemingly get along. These are mostly corals that have grown up next to each other from the beginning where they were separated at first. Many of these tanks are older of course and these colonies were started from tadpoles. I do not think that LPS are the same. Generally speaking like colonies get along but not always. The idea that all Euphyllias IE Torch, Hammer and Frogspawn will get along is not always true. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't All pack a powerful sting. Discoma mushrooms win out over any other coral and pack a powerful chemical that will burn up anything that comes up against it. They proliferate like crazy and are nearly impossible to eradicate from an aquarium as it only takes a very small piece to recreate a new disk. Best way to create a tank full of Discoma is to take a couple of small heads and some saltwater and place in a blender. Pour the mixture in your aquarium and wait. It takes a while but suddenly you will notice an explosion of growth most everywhere.

And I thought Disco went out in the 80's. I know I was Discoma'd back then. Discoma definition: To Disco dance the night away until you are in a coma.

Of course it was the Discoma juice we were consuming! That explains a lot, of course I have forgotten most of the 80's anyway. Just a Purple Haze now.

Palys can go with palys

Zoas can go with zoas

Acans can go with acans

*My green bubble-tip took out my mushroom leather. it went into deep depression and eventually shriveled up and died.

Archived