3.7g pico - reef, fish and invert

pabloescolar

Also, when the time comes to start picking up coral species/frags, what are local sources you all have good experiences with?

Frags from other reef keepers is by far and away the cheapest way to get frags not to mention they're usually of the best quality since they're in display tanks and not just transients in the trade.

As far as LFS's go, I typically go to aquadome for most of my stuff and occasionally hit up austin aqua farm. Their ebay auctions are awesome if they are still running them. Most of the LFS's are pretty decent here though.

Also, when the time comes to start picking up coral species/frags, what are local sources you all have good experiences with?

Frags from other reef keepers is by far and away the cheapest way to get frags not to mention they're usually of the best quality since they're in display tanks and not just transients in the trade.

As far as LFS's go, I typically go to aquadome for most of my stuff and occasionally hit up austin aqua farm. Their ebay auctions are awesome if they are still running them. Most of the LFS's are pretty decent here though.

That and the bi-annual club frag swap, the next one which is on October 17

Amphitheatre: Failure. I would have had to smash the live rock into many pieces to make that work in this footprint. It's more or less like it was before, but a slimmer vertical profile with wider ledges/terraces for frag placement.

Auto top off: Awesome. Definitely going to get that.

Frags from reefers: Definitely going to try that first.

Lighting: My lighting supplies come in tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some time on Sunday to mess with it and I'll take pictures and post a description of the process. I'm really stoked on this, I think it's going to look good.

Still need to paint the hood and do a few finishing touches but it looks pretty alright. Will post more details this weekend, taking the girl to dinner.

Edit: There are twenty color settings, several of which are within acceptable nm parameters - this is one of the wilder settings and wouldn't see regular usage. This is also with the pure white LEDs (6500k) off.

572b705be07b67119404c39af602093e.jpg

63de98dc5387fd2287760fb3a46c14f1.jpg

I've noticed a few instances of these tiny, white, treelike bristly things emerging from the live rock in a couple places. I've dug around in the forums and wikipedia and it looks like they're one of a few potential beneficial filter feeders that are naturally occurring. Can anyone confirm or tell me what they are? I couldn't for the life of me get my phone to focus for a better picture.

24f7392f648331b69018504aef102616.jpg

b19845b82eb6806692e82552c55f7ab8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Still need to paint the hood and do a few finishing touches but it looks pretty alright. Will post more details this weekend, taking the girl to dinner.

Edit: There are twenty color settings, several of which are within acceptable nm parameters - this is one of the wilder settings and wouldn't see regular usage. This is also with the pure white LEDs (6500k) off.

572b705be07b67119404c39af602093e.jpg

63de98dc5387fd2287760fb3a46c14f1.jpg

Curious how this tank is coming along and also how that light is working out for you?

I learned very quickly that a 3.7 was not going to satisfy my level of interest in the hobby. I wound up transplanting the contents to another system, using it as FW for a little bit then selling it. I recently saw it on Craigslist again because the guy that bought it was doing the same thing - going bigger. The light was still with it so I'm assuming it still works. Not sure how well, but it was really very bright for a DIY light on a tank that small. Not sure what the nm or PAR ratings really were, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived