Can anyone shed some light?

M6S1K3

Long story short my tank is doing amazing, I leave for 2.5 weeks on vacation (I have a buddy who has a tank watch mine), I come back and I have algae both green and brown hair and my corals all look pissed especially my candy canes which as stupid as it sound, I prided myself on because of how fast they multiplied and how healthy they were. I would gage my tank off them and it worked.

I have dosing pumps that kept water parameters where they should be. ATO. The works. All he did was empty the skimmer. Top the ATO reservoir off. And feed the fish the same amount I always do because I pre portioned and divided all the meals into a weekly pill dispenser (genius if I do say so myself). So end of this schpeal, I don't believe he did anything different than I would have but now everything pissed and my candy canes are dying.

How can I revive them and what do you think happened?!

1ec7a6c5315a12785b28fd70252889d0.jpg

If you look closely you'll see they are retracting and the skeletal structure is poking through the green candy cane part in a bunch of spots. And at night they don't have any feelers out.

Thanks guys in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the skimmer was cleaned out and running top top. My alk levels changed as much as they would when I am home. To explain. I am dosing alk but still haven't dialed it in yet so I loose roughly 15ppm-25ppm in 7 days time. I dosed to where it needed to be when I left. I also upped the time dosed by the amount needed to correct. When I got home my alk (ideal is 160ppm) was at 138ppm. Not a bad drop for 2 weeks time considering when I was home I was down to 135ppm after only one week. And as far as something dying. I believe I lost a snail. Does that count? I've lost tons of snails in the past and they don't even affect my tank at all. I knew how many I had when I left and I lost one.

Again I appreciate all the comments and questions!

No, I meant just throw out of your mind the event that caused this because the source will be almost impossible to figure out without you being there at the time. I say just aim to fix the issue. Water changes will fix almost anything.

What percentage would you do? And this will be the first water change since I've been dosing how does hat affect the dosing schedule. Just do water changes. Test water. Dose levels to where I want manually and let the pumps dose to maintain?

Archived