DSA 175 Peninsula Build

Jimbo662

Well, I'm slowly making progress. Spent the last two weeks getting the new planted tank set up and cleaning up the 175. Today I pulled the sump (40b), cut the baffles out, cleaned it up and reconfigured with new baffles to create a bubble trap on the drain area and a skimmer section to hold a consistent water level. I forgot to buy pieces of glass to do a bubble trap just before the return section...but...I had ordered one of the marine pure blocks which is 8"x8" and that just happens to be the same size of the transition from the skimmer to the return section so I figured I could just put it on one side or the other and stop any micro bubbles. Hoping to do the final cleaning on the tank tomorrow and get the plumbing back in. I bought new bulkheads at RCA Thursday and this afternoon realized I bought the wrong ones!!!! At least I'll have an excuse to head back over there tomorrow. :-) Also got the holes cut in the canopy for the lights. Just need to put some paint on it and it's good to go.

Finally opened the skimmer...this thing is huge compared to the 170 I had on my 75g tank.

post-2872-0-86365400-1443905044_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-74079800-1443905057_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-02216800-1443905073_thumb.jp

I'm soooo happy with the booster pump! I'd been averaging around 48 psi...now it's consistently 82.

post-2872-0-75191100-1443905147_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-46510500-1443905162_thumb.jp

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I set up my new tank I changed 10 gallons of water from my old tank and put it into the new one a couple of times a week for 2 weeks. Between the Iive rock and the recycled water I really did not have much of a cycle. Also when I moved the corals over the only real diffence was the lights. No stinky shrimp or damaged fish. Really looking forward to seeing this tank come together.

That's about what I was thinking also. I've got plenty of rock / rubble to handle waste from the two clowns I'll be able to move some to get things started. We're back to our normal schedule which means I'll be working from home on Tues / Wed so I'll be able to get some more stuff done on it.

I've got several Ecoxotic stunner strips left over from an old planted tank. Think one of these would be enough for a fuge light? I think it's the 6w 8k white.

Yeah, should be fine. Worst case run multiple. :)

Are you still going to transfer the contents of your smaller tank right away or have you reconsidered? If so, then don't forget to leave room for that amount as well. You'll also want to fill the sump to normal operating capacity before the RODI stops.

Yup, got that all under consideration. Once I get the tank / sump full and salted. I'll drain water into some brute trash cans, drain cube water into the new tank and move the rocks / sand, move the cube to another spot where it'll be my QT and fill it up with the new water from the cans.

I do but I've never put a video together...I've only just shot video and posted on youtube.

Plus I just finished putting the sand in...only thing to record would be water dripping into the tank. :-)

Almost there!!! I can't believe I've only gone through about 2/3 of a canister of DI resin. I double checked to make sure I was still getting 0 TDS coming out. Plumbing is back in and ready for testing. Got the two MP40's in place and running. Can't wait to get the gyre running and see what it does.

post-2872-0-68705700-1444420220_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-33770500-1444420238_thumb.jp

Wow...this gyre is awesome! Within a minute I had a nice wave going then changed the setting and it was stirring up the sand at the other end of the tank! Once I get the canopy and lights one this weekend I'll post a video.

Let there be LIGHT!!!! Have I ever mentioned how much I love my apex? Had the light installed and configured in less than 10 min. Just had to copy the program from my XR15.

Probably adding the salt tomorrow. I had a pinpoint leak in one of my return lines...took 3 times and finally siliconing every thread to get it right! Got the return pump running and water lever figured out.

Outstanding. You sir have some top notch (and strangely frequent) tank builds. I could watch that video on loop. I absolute love how you left a huge open piece of sand. Is it going to remain open or are you going to put a big frag rack and stuff there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL...this will be the last for a while! I was tempted to do saltwater rather than a planted tank when I got it back in February...I should have gone with my gut. The rock that's in the cube will go there and probably stacked around the rest of the rock but there will still be some open area for acans and other stuff that likes to be on the sand.

Archived