DSA 175 Peninsula Build

Jimbo662

Ok, I guess I should start an official build thread. yahoo.gif

When I got the 175 back in Feb I seriously considered doing a reef tank but stuck to my original plan and did a planted tank. Over the last couple of months something just hasn't seemed right and I've decided it really needs to be a reef tank!!!!! I'm getting a 90g to transfer the planted tank into and will transfer my 50g cube inhabitants into the 175.

Equipment

Tank: DSA 175g with overflow on one end

Sump: 40B, just need to add another piece of glass to form a skimmer area

Lights: 3 - Radion XR30w Pros

Skimmer: Vertex 180i with the neck cleaner

Powerheads: 2 - MP40we's

Return pump: Mag 18

Rock: BRS reef saver

Sand: Agrilive special grade

First delivery!!!

post-2872-0-04598200-1441474451_thumb.jp

Here's the tank in case anyone didn't see the other build thread

post-2872-0-66898100-1441474627_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-64014200-1441474656_thumb.jp

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright! I'm officially talking to you again Jimbo... you're off my list now!

I'm really excited to see this come together.

My only suggestion I'd maybe look for a more efficient return pump than the Mag18. They create a ton of heat, a little bit louder in my opinion, and consume much more energy than some of the other options out there.

WOOHOO...Ty's talking to me again!!!!! hyper.gif

Yeah, it may be time to replace the pump...I've had this thing since I set up the first 175g which was almost 3 yrs ago. Right now the tank stays at 80 + degrees without the heater coming on at all.

Ok people...need some opinions...and I know y'all have some! biggrin.png

Looking at mounting options for the lights. I can mount them inside the canopy and hide everything away...or remove the canopy all together and go with the multi light RMS kit for the radions. The lights are just too good looking to hide in a canopy. Going with the RMS option I'll be able to adjust the light easier and get them in the right spots and probably help reduce heat build up.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion-mounting-system/multi-light-rms

I'm canopy lover... I like to keep the illusion that its just a window to the ocean and not a bucket of water with lights over it. The rail does look pretty nice and has some nice options though.

I also don't like the overspill/glare issues you sometimes get with open top tanks though usually those can be remedied by adjusting light placement and height of the mounting bracket. My tank is just so tall (and I'm so short) that if I didn't have a canopy, the lights would literally be shining down on me.

Oh, one light specific issue is you are going to need to probably mount those lights pretty high above the tank for optimal placement. The current canopy doesn't look like it'll give you that option. If that's the case, I'd rail it then with no canopy.

In that dsa canopy you will have problems with moisture and salt getting in the fixtures they have built in fans that suck all that good stuff right into fixture cut holes and mount fixtures on top of canopy and use a block to hold up canopy door.. If any of that makes since!!

On the second day of christmas...

post-2872-0-14849200-1441819800_thumb.jp

The UPS driver seemed a little irritated with all the heavy boxes full of rock and sand but was relieved when he realized he had backed up in front of my garage and only had to drag his dolly 10 feet. Unfortunate for me he dropped a 50lb box of rock on the sensor for the garage door...

Archived