Shawn's 240 Long

ShawnKoto

Nope, too deep is not a problem. The problem is that when it's in the <3" range, it's not effective as it's not deep enough to be anaerobic. Depending on the size of the grains, 3" is usually the minimum target. I aimed more because previous experience taught me that it tends to compress a little and shrink over time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool! How deep are you planning on making your sandbed? I used about 100 pounds and have about two inches over the entire tank.

I have to say 100 lbs for a tank your size seems really low for 2inches. I don't think the math works out unless you have a lot of live rock on the bottom of the tank.

I do have quite a bit of rock on the left side of my tank thats sitting on the bottom of the tank. Maybe that's causing the difference. I had used an online calculator and bought 180 lbs, but once I started filling the tank it was apparent that was way too much and we returned 80 lbs of sand. I'm not going for a deep sand bed.

Hope see yours aquascaped soon, 240 is obviously the best tank size grin.png

So when I was looking into the aquascaping I saw a lot of people referencing the "Rule of Thirds" and it makes sense to me. So, I taped up the tank accordingly. smile.png

post-3767-0-96290500-1461773872_thumb.jp

I wanted to put a couple islands in the tank and this is the first one.

post-3767-0-32628800-1461774512_thumb.jp

I am really happy with the result. I have been calling it "The Volcano" due to the mountain look and the anemone. smile.png

The next piece coming soon!

Nice! And we can play tic-tac-toe on the acrylic too! Multipurpose!!!

I like the volcano. I got my money that Mr. Volcano moves to the front or back or that rock and off that peak though. Anemones are annoying that way... no amount of epoxy or superglue will convince them sometimes.

This is Harry the Leafy Filefish.

post-3767-0-94828100-1461850295_thumb.jp

I have had him for a while now, but I wanted to make a plug for how awesome these guys are. I have found them to be hearty and extremely social. I have been looking for a fish for a while that is social like a puffer, but will not eventually go after my other smaller fish. smile.png This guy follows me all over the tank, lets me hand fed him, and doesn't mind if I touch him. I also think he looks really cool. I know that he is not an option for a lot of reefers because he will eat inverts. It works for me because I am trying to do a "with caution" tank with fish that will eat inverts, but not corals. The clean-up crew is mostly large turbo snails, nassarius snails, conches, and urchins. So, far he let's my cleaner shrimp clean him... hopefully that keeps working because I have noticed a dip in my crab and shrimp population.... smile.png

post-3767-0-79920900-1461850866_thumb.jp

This is Harry the Leafy Filefish.

attachicon.gif20160207_185600 (2).jpg

I have had him for a while now, but I wanted to make a plug for how awesome these guys are. I have found them to be hearty and extremely social. I have been looking for a fish for a while that is social like a puffer, but will not eventually go after my other smaller fish. smile.png This guy follows me all over the tank, lets me hand fed him, and doesn't mind if I touch him. I also think he looks really cool. I know that he is not an option for a lot of reefers because he will eat inverts. It works for me because I am trying to do a "with caution" tank with fish that will eat inverts, but not corals. The clean-up crew is mostly large turbo snails, nassarius snails, conches, and urchins. So, far he let's my cleaner shrimp clean him... hopefully that keeps working because I have noticed a dip in my crab and shrimp population.... smile.png

attachicon.gif20160207_184545.jpg

Those are one of my very favorite fish[emoji2] I'm so excited to see another member with one. I've had 2 of them over the years and everything you've said about yours I've found to be true. They're like having a dog as a pet, just in the fishtank. Really social, interactive, and fun! And definitely a conversation piece. I hope he does great in your tank!

That's pretty smart on the sand! I'm a big fan of Whittlesey landscape supply and I'm interested to see how this works out for you. I imagine you'll spend a whole lot of time rinsing the sand and turning it over, I bet the level of dust in there is insane and it'll probably cloud up your water and spike your alk pretty radically when you first fill your tank.

That's pretty smart on the sand! I'm a big fan of Whittlesey landscape supply and I'm interested to see how this works out for you. I imagine you'll spend a whole lot of time rinsing the sand and turning it over, I bet the level of dust in there is insane and it'll probably cloud up your water and spike your alk pretty radically when you first fill your tank.

Yeah, it was very dirty! I would say it took me 15 - 20 minutes with the hose to clean half a 5 gallon bucket to where it was in pretty good shape. Then I would transfer it to a pitcher and clean it again until is ran clear with me mixing it with my hand. It took a lot of time, but by the time I finished I almost no clouding at all. That said, you can clean any sand to this point I guess its all the amount of time you want to put in. I am still not finished cleaning it all as I am taking it slow now that I have the sand in the display tank finished. I am working on the DSB in the sump now and have most of it done. Mostly now I will sit outside and sift sand while watching a sports event then have something to put in the tank afterwards. It makes me feel productive. :)

Archived