RO/DI Upgrade help...

SChrisEV

TDS Chris, not DTS. I keep having my surround sound receiver pop in my head everytime you type DTS. [emoji39]

With your TDS readings at every point of your RO/DI system, I think your system is setup just fine. Those are all in line with a regular system, IMO.

I think we need to revisit the CO2 content of your water. I heard aerating for 8-12 hrs will suffice before pumping it through the RO/DI system.

TDS Chris, not DTS. I keep having my surround sound receiver pop in my head everytime you type DTS. [emoji39]

With your TDS readings at every point of your RO/DI system, I think your system is setup just fine. Those are all in line with a regular system, IMO.

I think we need to revisit the CO2 content of your water. I heard aerating for 8-12 hrs will suffice before pumping it through the RO/DI system.

LOL, Yep, I do know it is TDS, just a nice consistent typo. smile.png I updated so you can stay in the reefing world not the stereo world. Thanks for pointing that out!

So 412 TDS source, only dropping to 354 TDS before membrane is "good" or expected? I never tested this before so I don't have anything to go on other than that is a lot of "cleaning" my RO membranes need to do.

But yes I do need to look at the CO2. I guess I'll need to use my existing waste barrel, re-purpose it to hold RO water for 8 to 12 hours, then send it through the DI stage. I'll need to buy another pump for that. Not sure the rate it should be. I expect pretty slow??

I would imagine a slow flow but since I've never done it, you may want to do some research online before proceeding. I bet you can just use a maxijet with a throttle on it or perhaps one of the Tom's aqualifters can do the job.

I'll measure my TDS after the filters later today and let you know what I get. If I remember right, my TDS is around 350 and then after membrane is 30-45 and then 0 after DI. I've never checked my after filters TDS reading so I'll try it out later and report back.

I would imagine a slow flow but since I've never done it, you may want to do some research online before proceeding. I bet you can just use a maxijet with a throttle on it or perhaps one of the Tom's aqualifters can do the job.

I'll measure my TDS after the filters later today and let you know what I get. If I remember right, my TDS is around 350 and then after membrane is 30-45 and then 0 after DI. I've never checked my after filters TDS reading so I'll try it out later and report back.

Wow so you have 30-45 AFTER your membrane going into your DI??? Then something is really wrong in my system, and maybe the CO2, because I have, in last nights test only 7 ppm TDS going to my DI resin.

This is based off my awful memory... I could be remembering the TDS when it first fires up instead of once it normalizes.

A good membrane gets about 95% rejection rate if I remember right... but everything is based on my loose memory. [emoji16]

I lied, 9ppm after RO. I'm actually glad you made me check. I was getting lazy and only visually checked my color changing DI resin for exhaustion. When I actually kicked on the TDS meter, it was reading the same number going out as going into DI. Means my DI has been completed exhausted... for how long... who knows.

It was only less than 6 months ago that i had replaced it so not too crazy long I'd imagine. I'm sure it went a lot quicker this time around because of all the water changes I did with the marine velvet treatment.

That would explain the cyano and algal growth that appeared when a couple months back when I pulled out all my fish. I was blaming it on that... apparently... I just don't know how to use my RO/DI. [emoji16]

Archived