Iodine

Manny

Exactly what's the role of iodine or more specifically, iodine in the aquarium? Do you guys ever wonder if we overlook iodine too much? Ever wonder if we maybe give it too much thought? What do you guys think? Where can I find some sound information that is backed by scientific research? Or to put into better and more precise words, what is your opinion on iodine Victoly? [emoji41]

Manny

This is a more user friendly short article that may provide some insight into your question. It is where I first pulled down some info on the subject I found useful.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/e_edelman2.html

For some reason the point and click on this address is not functioning, but just copy and paste into your browser and it'll take you there.

I had the opposite anecdotal results then Victoly. I noticed increased growth rate on my softies (zoas and shrooms). I was changing other things as a reefer does so I can't say the lugols was a magic bullet. I tried testing with the Red Sea iodine kit and salifert kit but I was always at 0.06 no matter if I dosed or not. I was dosing 1 drop a week into 25 gallons.

At the end of the day I can't say that it did help. I didn't notice any harmful effects.

Archived