Fragging/ separating plate coral

Rconde

Congradulations, you're a grandparent now! smile.png Don't try to pry off the polyps. If you leave them alone they will drop off when they are ready. If you are going to try to remove the polyp "bud" you will want to very carefully remove it at the base where it is attached to the old parent skeleton. I've had several of these polyp "buds" that have gone on to make as many as new 3 new "buds" after being removed and I now have them reproducing in several systems.

This was a fortuitous separation. Cleaning one of my tank's Monday a polyp dropped off as the algae magnet went by. First picture is the polyp and the "polyp bud" structure. The "polyp bud" has grown from the initial single "bud" to four established "buds" and the beginning of a fifth bud (circled). The whole structure is covered with tissue connecting all the buds together and is ≈ 1/2" dia. at the base. Second picture is the back side of the polyp and it's "navel".

post-1247-0-07243300-1425522354_thumb.jp

post-1247-0-36438800-1425522747_thumb.jp

Haha, I still reference the A&M report on St. Augustine grass to help keep my lawn nice and pretty in the back. The front is hopeless with only 1 day/week to water so once the wife graduates, it's xeriscaping time!

How do you guys get the fungias to make babies? I've got a green helmet, but it is content in just growing larger instead of having babies. Is propagation only possible by injuring the parent coral with babies appearing in the area of die back?

Yes, in this case, the daughter colonies came from the death of the parent coral. You can cut and frag the parent too but I find the results undesirable as the new frags don't always "round" out and don't always grow a new mouth.

• Like 1

Doesn't take much to dislodge them. If you aim to leave a little of the original budding point, you'll most often be rewarded with another plate growing in the same spot.

I've said too much already! [emoji33] Now you're going to put me out of business with that orange plate too!