Led help

Rconde

Ok so I am really wanting to replace the compacts in my BC29 with LEDs I was looking at the arctic-s026 by ocean revive and the dimmable onyx by rapid LED.... I'm leaning more towards the arctic just bc of price and reviews. I would love to get the radion xr30 but really don't want to spend 600-700 bucks..... Looking for some opinions OH and I really just have soft corals in my tank....post-2953-0-53928400-1424840679_thumb.jp

I know we have Build My LED here in town. Also, the reefbreeder LEDs seem to get good reviews. Battlecorals has reported some great results with them on SPS on reef2reef. You might want to research them a little, they are definitely at a good price point.

I have been using three S026 on my tank and I like them a lot. They're cheaper and run cooler than some of the other brands you have listed. However, you mentioned dimmable in your initial post and I've been told they are not controller dimmable. The blues are on a separate plug from the whites so you can control them with different timers. I've been turning my lights off and on for 19 years without dimming and I have never had a problem, so this isn't a con for me but it may be for some.

There are a bunch of threads about LEDs on the forums. Check em out! I will never go back to T-5 for as long as I live!

I will trhow my $.02 in as well...

I started with a stock BC29, then upgraded the lights to BML's, which were transfered and added to in my 46, and then went on to start up my 90 before changing out to Ocean revive T247's (2) that I currently run. So, I've got a bit of experience on this topic!

I am going to make an assumption or two: 1. since you do not list SPS corals as a reason for MORE light, I assume you're going after spectrum or control. I assume more spectrum than control since you didn't list the dimmable fixture first.

Let's get the Ocean revives out of the way: These are awesome fixtures! When price is considered I don't think there is much on the market that compares. However, they are WAY more light than a 29 cube needs, are not "dimable" but adjustable, and will not retro fit in your current top. So, if price is the #1 concern they may be your light.... but only if you're going to upgrade eventually. However, If you have any jumping fish (fire fish for example) you'll need a plan for topping the tank. Also, you'll find evaporation doubles or more when taking the top off.

Most other fixtures are going to have similar concerns...mainly because they are going to need 8 inches or more of mounting height due to the reflectors used for most LED lenses. Al sol (including the just released one), Kessil, rzr...they all need more height than the 4" given by the stock hood. Again, this could be a non-issue.

The BML's however fit perfectly in your OEM hood. Just remove the power compacts, unscrew the ballasts, as well as the reflector plate, then drill two holes in the reflector plate and screw the fixture in. When re-asembling push the ballasts for the PC lights back behind the reflector. Replace the water shield and done! They have a "secondary lens" I guess you could call it and can be run as little as 2" over the water. I grew everything from zoas and softies to clams to chalice to SPS with one 12" 14K BML and the PC actinic that comes with the tank. Not controlled, not dimmed...100% with no ramp up or down. True mixed reef with everyone happy with thier PAR. Same thing with 24"'s of 14K and 24" of super act on the 46...almost everything happy from top to bottom without the lights being controlled by more than a timer. That 46 BF set-up is currently running at Nikos if you would like to see it...which I suggest due to the following paragraph...

The color of the BML 14K is AMAZING! I can't replicate it with the Ocean revives; and truly, I've never seen any light of any kind put off the same spectrum. This is really my only complaint with the ocean revives! Quite honestly you're looking at $120 for a 12" BML or $150 for an OR....If I was 100% certian I would be upgrading in the future (and had no jumpers) (and knew I was going >75 gallons) I'd go with the OR. If there are no plans for an upgrade I'd go with the BML. I still have one 12" 14K left; it's running 10" above my 2nd chamber in my sump running for 8 hrs per day and SPS grows slowly on the sand bed with no actinic light...

Good luck on your choice!

The color of the BML 14K is AMAZING! I can't replicate it with the Ocean revives; and truly, I've never seen any light of any kind put off the same spectrum.

That would be courtesy of the Philips Luxeon and Philips Rebel LEDs in the BML fixtures. They're about some of the highest quality diodes available with the best cri, stable and consistent color from diode to diode/bin to bin, and some of the highest lumen per watt available as well. Steves LEDs swear by them as well. If I were doing a rapidled diy or onyx build I would opt for all Philips diodes instead of the Cree diodes people typically use. Being that they're the same price I don't know why they're not used more often. That's also how bml is able to get such high par numbers at such low wattage. Better diodes

• Like 1

Wow thanks everyone for the input!

12_egg_omelette I prob be another month or so before Im ready to buy something

Vu I still got your number I'll hit you up sometime this week if thats ok