Does anybody have problems with fish jumping out of their tanks?

YeetPopper

I have heard stories of clowns jumping out, but have not seen it personally.

I have a wrasse that likes to jump, so I made a screen with clear plastic mesh from Bulk Reef Supply and screen door metal things from Home Depot. It was maybe $20 to make. The bad thing about it though is if you have wires going into the tank, from powerheads or whatever, the screen has to sit on top of the wires. Leaves a small gap and kinda doesn't look that great.

Yes, fish will jump. I have lost clownfish and wrasses in particular. I have been told that if you don't have rockwork that goes high it is much less of a problem. The idea being that when one fish chases another, the first swims up along the rock to lose the pursuer, but gets going so fast before they know it they shoot out the top of the water. If your rock doesn't approach that close to the surface the fish swims over and up, then down the other side.

Since I did my rockwork in my new tank to avoid such high spots i haven't had that issue anywhere except near my overflow.

I don't trust wrasses for sure in an uncovered tank but I can see how any fish might accidentally jump.

My dartfish can get a good solid 1' out of the water if spooked well enough. Luckily I found this out in the tub with roughly 1.5' of spare jumping room.

Over the years I have had three fish jump out of a reef tank and all of them were uncommon jumpers. Just because it doesn't happen often, doesn't mean it can't happen at all.

One Spot Foxface

Yellow Watchman Goby

Coral Beauty Angel

I don't trust wrasses for sure in an uncovered tank but I can see how any fish might accidentally jump.

My dartfish can get a good solid 1' out of the water if spooked well enough. Luckily I found this out in the tub with roughly 1.5' of spare jumping room.

Wait, What Ty, you had your Fish in the tub with you and you spooked it.........doh.gif

Wait, What Ty, you had your Fish in the tub with you and you spooked it.........doh.gif
I employ that technique with all my new additions... helps me build the bonds of trust! [emoji57]

I employ that technique with all my new additions... helps me build the bonds of trust! [emoji57]

doh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif

So much more one could say.... but I'm gunna leave that alone!

For the newbies here, that is NOT responsible QT nor acclimation procedure.

Archived