Hippo Tang in hiding

Mlaw

My hippo tang has gone into hiding. Wouldn't bother me much but I just lost a clown for no apparent reason.

I'm headed up to RCA to get water checked today and will post the results.

I recently had a sump catastrophe. seal failed and dumped 20+ gallons of water on the floor over 2 days. I'm working on getting the new sump up and running. I'm betting my salinity has been greatly reduced. could this be part of the problem?

What can I do? I've been feeding favorite foods etc and haven't seen any change. I haven't laid eyes on the fish so no idea if there are symptoms.

Still a reduction of 20g on your (200g?) tank should only be a 10% reduction. That would be going from 1.035 to 1.0315 over a course of two days. IMO it was probably slow enough not to cause immediate damage. Now, as the way our hobby normally goes, combining variables can complicate things. Any other stressors?

I think I have tentatively decided that the problem is temperature. I didn't think about the fact that it is getting cold in the house at night and the heaters were all in the sump that is offline. I've added heaters to the DT and we'll see what happens.

Makes sense for the wrasse to hide in the sand and the tang to hide in a cave for warmth. I remember now that they did the same thing in their previous tank when there was as sudden temperature dip a few years ago.

Still not sure what happened to the clown. She was the smaller of 2 females and may have tangled with the larger female for a premo warm spot but who knows. They have lived peacefully for 3-4 months.

Archived