Sadly, I must sell my tank

KarenM

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone here for all their advice, hard work, time, and equipment that was so generously given to me (especially Gabriel, Rich, and Craig). You guys are the best!

For a number of reasons, I now realize I'm in over my head and must sell my tank. For the last few weeks I've had health problems (ruptured appendix and complications after surgery) that are racking up some major expenses. Along with that, my daughter has decided to go back to gymnastics and cheerleading - which also rack up some hefty expenses. Finally, for some odd reason my ATO didn't turn off yesterday and I've flooded my carpet for the 5th time in as many months. Someday I'd like to start over with a nano, but a tank this size just doesn't work with the lifestyle of busy single mom.

Pics of my tank are in the gallery. I'd rather not part it out at the moment, as I need a lump sum for the cheerleading and medical bills. I'm not sure what a fair price is for the whole setup, but I'm thinking along the lines of $500. here's a list of what I have:

120 gal RR tank - 48x24x24, with stand and top. The top has holes cut in it, and really needs to be replaced but is OK for holding up a retro set. The stand is in decent shape.

A genuine Craig Kimble custom designed sump (I think it's 20 or 30 gal)

Precision Marine skimmer (I think it's an older model bullet)

2 pumps

heater

ATO from Auto top-off.com

2 30 gal trash cans on wheels

2 magfloats

Kent 24 scraper

36" VHO retro light fixture

2 Hydor Koralia 4s - one about 3 months old, one about one month old

All equip works fine, no leaks.

90lbs live rock - all purchased from existing tanks and is at least 2 years old

50lbs live sand - purchased "live" in October

Frogspawn - about 6-7" in diameter

GSP - about 6" long

3 good sized groups of pulzing xenia, about 3" tall

probably about 20-25 mushrooms

small pink sponge - about 2" in diameter

1 Tomini tang

1 blue spot blenny

1 coral beauty

1 neon basslet

1 Foxface Lo

2 scissortail blennies

All are very fat and healthy and eat everything, and they all get along very well

1 sea apple

1 cleaner shrimp

a ton of small snails and crabs - cleaner pkg from Saltwaterfish.com in November

About $40 in random foods - both for filter feeders and frozen food/pellets for the fish.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Craig just saw my tank about a month ago, so he vouch for the health of my fish.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Karen. I doubt you'll have too much trouble selling this setup.

Good luck,

Craig

Thanks, Craig. I just want to cry right now, watching them glide through the water and nip at the rocks. But I just can't handle a tank this large - even the water changes take me a good 3 hours because I just haven't gotten the hang of it all, and my finances have gone totally downhill in the last couple of weeks. there's a slight chance I might get a big enough bonus at work to keep it, but meanwhile I have to have the $500 for cheerleading by march 24th, $800 in car repairs, property taxes, medical bills, it all hit at once. When it rains, it pours. :(

Sorry to hear about your tough luck. It sucks when life gets in the way of the tanks.

best of luck!

Thanks, James. But if my worse problem right now is money, I'm pretty lucky. Maybe I'll even be lucky enough to win the lottery or something, and then not only could I keep it but I could get one of those $1,000 light hoods. :(

I understand when life gets in the way of fish (or anything else requiring free time and cash).

I'll spare you the details but, BELIEVE ME, I understand.

Your post says $500 for everything?

I know you need the money but that seems really cheap.

I hate to see you have to give it all away when you spent so much time and money "learning and aquiring".

Sell the live rock- 90#@ $3/lb. that's $270 (that's cheap especially for established rock)

Sell the sand- $30

I'm sure you can get close to $200 for the fish and coral

There's your $500 and you get to keep your tank and all your hardware (think about what it would cost to "redo").

"This too shall pass" and when the sky clears there'll be new fish out there waiting on you.

(to anyone reading this who thinks I should "keep my 2 cents to myself"... please feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you)

Princer7 - I'll try and get some pics of the tank/stand tonight. It's just a basic setup, nothing fancy.

Tomanero - I know $500 is on the low end, but that's for all you on ARC. So many people have given me equipment or livestock, and volunteered their time without expecting anything in return. I'm really hoping the livestock will end up with one of you, so I'll know they'll be well taken care of. All my fish were hand-picked by me or entrusted to me by other ARC members so it's important who they go to.

Thanks, Gabriel. I've had so many messages asking about parting out, I may end up doing that. I just need to sell it quickly and of course the livestock needs to go first. I just don't want to end up spending a couple of months selling off one thing at a time and getting more and more sad staring at an empty tank.

And also I really need to get to the carpet underneath it. I've spilled so much water, I'm afraid of what I'll find under there.

I too agree with Tomanero. You will wish you kept the tank.

Karen,

Robin and I can definitely relate. With two kinds we had similar situations. It is good you are putting family first. Robin and I commend you for it.

Hang in there as this is just a season and as Tomanero stated "This too shall pass!"

Best wishes,

David and Robin

I too agree with Tomanero. You will wish you kept the tank.

Karen,

Robin and I can definitely relate. With two kinds we had similar situations. It is good you are putting family first. Robin and I commend you for it.

Hang in there as this is just a season and as Tomanero stated "This too shall pass!"

Best wishes,

David and Robin

Kinds=kids

Like I said in a PM.. I have a cart to move the tank. We move the tank, cut up the carpet in the spot and about 2-3ft extra. We tile or hardwood laminate and then we put tank back... All said and done a few days of work and you have your tank, more friends and less beer on earth... :dribble:

Like I said in a PM.. I have a cart to move the tank. We move the tank, cut up the carpet in the spot and about 2-3ft extra. We tile or hardwood laminate and then we put tank back... All said and done a few days of work and you have your tank, more friends and less beer on earth... :D

Sounds like a terrific plan. How much beer would it take for you to tile the entire living room? :dribble:

Sounds like a terrific plan. How much beer would it take for you to tile the entire living room? :)

I dont' know off the top of my head, but I know enough reefers and myself who have done plenty of this before.. If you were serious about it, shoot me a PM and we can start talking real details.

G

Last call for the setup as a whole...last night my ATO tube slipped out of my overflow and emptied about 10 gal of RO water on my carpet. I just now got up and realized it.

I may have one person interested in the whole setup, but if not I'll have to start parting out. The livestock has to go first (including the big urchin that I forgot to list originally), but we can't catch them until the rock is gone. So......I guess it all has to be done the same day.

hate to see this happen karen and i hope everything works out for the best for you!!!!

if you do indeed part out id be interested in couple items..

gsp

frogspawn

cleaner shrimp

cleaning crew

if so shoot me a pm

Thanks, Adrian. Everything will be fine, it's just a small setback. I'm still hoping to sell it as a setup, but if not I'll let all of you know.

Hey I have a brother in law up in Temple Texas that asked for me to find him a fish tank. He recently came out and visited me and after seeing my 40gallon bowfront Reef and helping me move my 220gallon glass into my house, is as excited as I am about this hobby. I guess he got home from seeing me and already discussed with his wife(my sister) that they should get a tank....since his son (my nephew) loves Finding Nemo and fish. hah. Well, he has been searching for the past few days and can't find anything worthwhile. So I searched for Austin's Reef club/society and found this place. I think the 120 would be perfect for him and my sister and nephew. Please call me as they would buy as a complete setup. (808) 783-8611 Ghent

Hi, i'm interested in you tank if it's still available.. i'm from houston.. where can i see the pics of it.. sounds like just what i need... i have a 75 that i've out grown...

let me know if yo still want to sell it...

Thanks

Tracy

832-367-7635

Hi, i'm interested in you tank if it's still available.. i'm from houston.. where can i see the pics of it.. sounds like just what i need... i have a 75 that i've out grown...

let me know if yo still want to sell it...

Thanks

Tracy

832-367-7635

Aren't you selling some 125s? Just curious why you'd want this one.

If I don't get a buyer in the next few days I'll have to part it out this weekend (I really need to get to the damp carpet/padding underneath it). There are various pics in the gallery, and I'll try and post recent ones tonight. I can't find my one camera and I've loaned the other out. You'll probably want to replace the canopy, and the VHOs need new bulbs I think. The canopy slammed shut the other day and now the lights aren't coming on. Maybe something loose, I'll have to check around tonight.

Although it's at my house, it's sort of a community project. Gabriel and Craig put it together for me and did the seascaping, and Craig built and installed the sump. I've had all my livestock at least 6 months with the exception of the scissortail gobies - one came from a store and another came from an ARC member. All of the fish are fat and healthy, and all get along very well.

I won't be able to call you until sometime this evening, but I'll call when I can.

Aren't you selling some 125s? Just curious why you'd want this one.

If I don't get a buyer in the next few days I'll have to part it out this weekend (I really need to get to the damp carpet/padding underneath it). There are various pics in the gallery, and I'll try and post recent ones tonight. I can't find my one camera and I've loaned the other out. You'll probably want to replace the canopy, and the VHOs need new bulbs I think. The canopy slammed shut the other day and now the lights aren't coming on. Maybe something loose, I'll have to check around tonight.

Although it's at my house, it's sort of a community project. Gabriel and Craig put it together for me and did the seascaping, and Craig built and installed the sump. I've had all my livestock at least 6 months with the exception of the scissortail gobies - one came from a store and another came from an ARC member. All of the fish are fat and healthy, and all get along very well.

I won't be able to call you until sometime this evening, but I'll call when I can.

yes i have 2 125s, but neither is reef ready, thats what i'm looking for.. the 110 i bought only had a single overflow and is quite small... no drilling for return either... so i'm looking for a showtank... reef ready... 120-150g size... one of the 125's had 4ft vhos in it, thats why i bought it... i also have dual 400w metal halides ready to go into the new canopy i will build... so i still think your setup will be perfect.

Thanks

looking forward to the pics..

Tracy