Sparkle's custom Nano build, need a little help!

Sparklefresh

I have a tunze nano and it was a little screwy. It wouldn't always top off when it was supposed to and it would turn on and off too much occasionally. It's been a while since I used it so I can't remember exactly what the problem was. Jaggedfire said he had a similar experience so maybe you can ask him. He understood well what the problem was. Oh and I had mine on a 3gal so that might've had something to do with it. In general I'm a huge fan of tunze ato's though! And of their other products in general.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I manually topped off. Worked nearly perfect lol :P

You can try the one I have if you want to see if it'll behave better on a more appropriately sized tank. It only has a couple week's use on it. (Mine's not really for sale, I'm just thinking this way you can try before buying) What about a regular tunze ato? Will the magnet not fit in the chamber?

Yes, I manually topped off. Worked nearly perfect lol tongue.png

You can try the one I have if you want to see if it'll behave better on a more appropriately sized tank. It only has a couple week's use on it. (Mine's not really for sale, I'm just thinking this way you can try before buying) What about a regular tunze ato? Will the magnet not fit in the chamber?

Thank you for the offer if I decide to try it out I will let you know!smile.png

As for the regular size I didn't even think about it, maybe it was because there are two floats and I only needed one. Can't remember off the top of my head i will check it out when I get home.

Just did some research on the regulat Tunze ATO and I don't think it will work in my back chamber, unfortunate.

So Kim I read some reviews on the Tunze Nano, do you think this is the issue you were having?

"After avoiding a couple of floods when i first hooked it up, i think i finally have it dialed in. If the glass on where you are placing it, make sure to use a spacer, as the magnet affects the float. directions could be clearer about this. after I got it going correctly, i love it."

I use a tunze nano and love it. I haven't had that problem. I check my float monthly to make sure it's sliding freely.

I also have a media bag around it so a snail can't pull the float down. Make sure the chamber it's in is snail proof or you rig a snail guard.

That's very interesting. I'm not sure what they mean by a spacer but yeah, that could be the problem. Is the chamber too small for the magnet on the regular size ato?

there is not enough room in the chamber it would be going to two floats.

I'm guessing they added a piece of cardboard or something to make the magnet not as strong. Not %100 sure either.

That's very interesting. I'm not sure what they mean by a spacer but yeah, that could be the problem. Is the chamber too small for the magnet on the regular size ato?

there is not enough room in the chamber it would be going to two floats.

I'm guessing they added a piece of cardboard or something to make the magnet not as strong. Not %100 sure either.

You can put both on the same magnet, that's how I have mine.

Ah yes I see it now, unfortunately I don't see any for sale anywhere for less than $150. I could buy it but I'm really not trying to spend $200 on an ATO. I used to have the DIY kit from BRS and it worked great but I wanted an all in one system. I think I will just end up with the Nano, seems like if you figure the magnet issue out it works great.

Oh yeah there are tons and at a wide variety of prices. I've had my jbj ATO for 2 years now. It's probably the cheapest all in one ATO option but also the most bare bones old school. Most people now turn their noses up at mechanical float switches. Mine have only failed 2-3 times in 2 years and always in the off position from salt creep. My own fault for not maintainin the switches. No disasters though

How high does the water level need to be in the back? I use the older pre-magnet mount on my osmolator and both sensors are on the same clamping bar. I don't think it takes up more than about 2x2". Fit no problem in the pump chamber of a JBJ nano cube. The water level would need to be 3 or 4 inches below the rim though.

Basically you can stack them both on a single rail instead of them each having their own as shown here.

osmolarge1.JPG

0DB4C864-265F-4B44-9FC7-C1152A1260FE_zps

So the shrimp has been in the tank about five days now, what does that number look like to you 1 or 2.0 ppm? Also any recommendations on what to do next, I know there are a bunch of ways to cycle but being kinda new to the shrimp method I'm curious to what other think or what has worked for others.

Should I remove the shrimp now or wait for a higher spike?

After I remove should I start ghost feeding the tank?

Thanks

Call it 2 ish. Not that big a deal. Leave the shrimp till you have zero ammonia and nitrite. Once that happens, 50% water change to redice the nitrates a bit, and start in with a light cuc and perhaps your favorite peaceful fish. As algae increases, so should the cuc. Add one fish every month or so till you're at cavity

For the ammonia, what really matters is when you see the yellow! But for recording purposes, I agree with the 1.5 ppm.

I'd leave the shrimp and do what Bpb says, once you zero out on ammonia and nitrite, do a water change. From there, I'd start ghost feeding and adding a tiny clean-up crew. I'm talking like one snail and maybe one crab. Then increase as your bioload or your tank dictates you need more.

Archived