100 G total on second floor

Bogdan

Would it be OK to set up an 80G DT + 20G sump on the second floor? I am talking about a small two store house built in 2000. It would be nice to have the tank in a room where I spend most of my time but I don't know if the floor is going to hold this much. Any thoughts from people familiar with archtecture, construction or any experience in this matter would be helpful.

Id say aslong as you aren't planning a column tank you'd be fine. I'm no structural engineer, but i don't see why any structure built in the 2000's wouldn't support the1000lbs (give or take a 100lbs or so for equipment and stand)

someone please correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can place it next to a loading bearing wall that would be good too. Load bearing walls support the roof on the interior and of course all exterior walls are loading bearing. On the second floor if it is an interior loading wall then there will be a beam or joist below to support the roof down to the floor and into the slab. If you can find the original home builder and floor plans to your home that would save a lot of worrying!!

Years back I had a 130G with 30G sump on a second floor, and had no issues. I second what rockstarwiggle said, as well as Makena95GT. If you have a spot with a wall under your placement you should be good., And when I say under, it does not even need to be right under it, but close. That wall will be supporting the floor joist giving you plenty of support. If on the other hand it does not then you'll be mid span on the floor joist.... and it would probably still be fine. But I'm not expert. :)

Should be totally fine, but I would ask is this a normal dimensioned rectangle tank? does the stand just support the weight on the corners or is the front, back, and sides bearing weight against the floor? Also, is the location you are looking at putting it have joists running perpendicular to the wall it's going to be up against?

The general answer is that this volume of tank is safe in most structures. If it's a cube or other more compact shape tank and if the stand just has contact on the corners, that can be a lot of weight on those areas.

get five or six friends to bunch up for a picture and see if they fall through. :)

(note: i know this doesn't actually take all the effects into account...it's just supposed to be silly.)

Thank you all for your input, especially Max for the good link. i decided to play safe and set up the tank on first floor. The extra adventage would be a little cooler temp in summer.

Archived