New to Reefing! Itching to Start My Own Tank!!

quemist

Hi!

I'm a UT graduate student and I just stumbled upon this amazing world of building saltwater reef systems!!

If anyone is looking to sell equipment or "starter kits"- I'm ready to buy!!

Hi, welcome to the club! My wife is a grad student as well at UT!

Do you have a tank yet? What equipment are you looking for?

If you check the for sale section on the club, you might find some great deals.

Anyways, welcome and feel free to ask any questions you may have. This is a great group to learn from.

-Ty

Hey There,

Welcome to arc! I found it to be really helpful...and a just a little addicting.

Ty pretty much covered the basics, check the for sale forums. There is also a "complete systems" section, that admittedly is posted in less frequently, but most times the posts have everything you need to get going at a much more reasonable price than from a local fish store. Craiglist is also a great place to scavenge for tanks if you do a little background research on what your getting.

If you have a smartphone check out tapatalk to access arc.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome ! Two things that might help you on your journey here is to find a tank you love (check out tank build forum) and copy it. Furthermore, pick what you want to keep first and build your tank around the desired inhabitants. This is a great group of people who will trip over themselves to help you.

Welcome, I joined up the same way. No tank, found nice people with knowledge to share, and bought a complete system from a member here. Research now so you know what you need so you don't get antsy while waiting for your tank to cycle and end up rushing things.

Welcome! There are a ton of great reef forums on the web, but this one is definitely my favorite.

Everyone's got advice. Mine? Everything you purchase should have a specific purpose. Think of pieces of equipment as solutions to a problem. That way you can avoid over or under equipping your tank, and you can narrow down your searches better for what you need. Don't just buy stuff because others have it.

+1 on finding a tank you love an mimicking it.

Oooh! Thanks for all the great advice! I'm slowly learning and I've got a nano tank in the works now. I'm a chemist, so the nutrient cycling isn't too hard for me to figure out as of yet- Just making sure things don't die.

JeeperTy- Are you a Jeep driver? I'm an avid TJ fan....

I owned a YJ for the better part of 7 years and then bought an LJ in 2005 for the sleeker, smoother ride of the coil springs and the longer body (and an awesome hardtop!). I unfortunately had to give up the Jeeping lifestyle as I changed careers from being a 10-year Environmental Scientist to a Residential Real Estate Agent and driving people around in my LJ with the top off wasn't for everybody. Go figure! doh.gif

Now I'm just a poser with the name! thumbsdown.gif And Rav4Ty doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

If you get a chance quemist, start a tank build thread and start listing your equipment. It'll be a good way for you to document your build and also have a central location where specifics of your build can be discussed and advice given if needed. We're big fans of pics around here so get snap happy! snack.gif

Welcome! wave.gif

Every couple of months Petco has a $1 per gallon sale up to 55g. That may be the cheapest route to go depending on the size you want. Keep in mind you will have to get it drilled if you want a sump. Good Luck!

Archived