BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

I went through the same problem. Make sure to use Tech M. Most people don't, but I lost some snails so watch out for that. Also my nps corals lost their ability to catch food during the treatment, so if you have any be sure to feed well before starting. It works fast and I haven't seen any since!

Oh and the salifert Mg test is so much easier and more accurate than the red sea if you don't already have a salifert Mg kit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Next question. With magnesium already up over 1600 ppm, and some already stressing sps, would it be advisable to use tech m? I don't want to do a series of large water changes and muck everything up when I'm really trying to get that stability back. Can I possibly dose small amounts perhaps with some 5% weekly water changes and it still be effective. I've been wanting a fox face for a while so maybe this is a sign. I considered a couple gigantic turbo snails but I know they fall over easily and not all of my acros are glued down real well

I actually prefer the classic yellow believe it or not. All the other foxface varieties are a little drab. Now there are some super colorful rabbit fish out there but they're a little harder to come by

I think the shock and awe effect works best with the Tech M. Otherwise, I feel like it would get acclimated to it. Tough call with weakened sps already.

Sent via Tapatalk

Oh well, I quit! At this point I'm not going to screw with anything and just test alk once a week and make sure it stays topped off and skimmer cup emptied. What happens will happen. This tank change has been emotionally exhausting. Messing with my fw planted tank has been a refreshing change of pace, even though I nearly gassed all my fish yesterday. Brought on pressurized co2 for the first time and in my infinite stupidity I cranked the bubble rate up to like 8-10 bubbles per second. More is better right? Drop checker turned bright yellow in a few hours and all the fish were frantically gasping at the surface. Oops

Hang in there bud! Mine wore me out with all the death but eventually you'll turn the corner. I finally felt safe enough to glue frags onto the rocks again and this had been officially month 8 of my upgrade. In time, it will all balance out again and you'll have your cruise control tank back.

Sent via Tapatalk

Another update. Great news this time. Broke my MP40 tonight. Accidentally stuck the tongs into the wet side while it was running. Took it apart. Reassembled (ceramic washer came unseated), discovered the magnet was swelling and rusting...that's a $50 + S&H fix...but at least it was still functional. Right? Then as it was putting it all back on the tank, I dropped the dry side into the water.

Took it apart, tried to dry it out entirely. Thought I did, reassembled. Fired up. But couldn't get up to top speed, them the red light started flashing and all was still and calm. I've got the most expensive paper weight in the brazos valley now. Fml. I suppose there ARE worse things that could happen right?

Now have the wp25s at each end pointing at each other and turned up the return pump to max (was running at minimum). I started thinking "hmm well maybe I'll get a wp40 to replace it with, or try out two of the new rw series pumps, lord knows I can't afford another vortech or a tunze on my income with a baby on the way...F*** this tank. I don't even care. TV = on. Nobody talk to me"

4 months later, bout time. Nice product. Happy with it. Apex programming went fine.

imagejpg1_zps0917682e.jpg

imagejpg2_zps701c0d88.jpg

imagejpg3_zps2bd8376f.jpg

imagejpg4_zps538a3282.jpg

imagejpg5_zps2ccd821e.jpg

Very happy with the look. Unfortunately I cannot share detailed close ups. Impossible. The phone does not compute but they really are beautiful. Mounting was easy by following BML canopy mounting instructions. 2 hour dim from 10-60% sunrise and sunset. I'll work my way up to 100%.

Onto the bad. Death is worsening. While they've not died entirely, I'm running out of fraggable tissue. Dead or dying inventory as of now:

Blue stag

Northern lights Nasuta

ORA Hawkins Echinata

Unknown red smooth skin Acro with yellow polyps

Red Milliepora

Tyree lime in the sky Acro

Ora Cali tort

Miami orchid Acro

Raspberry cheesecake Acro

Red digi

All softies and Lps unaffected and actually growing at an alarming rate.

Unaffected sps still hanging on/growing:

Green montipora stellata

Montipora spongodes

Purple montipora capricornis

Red montipora capricornis

Green montipora capricornis

Rainbow monti

Sunset monti

Montipora setosa

Oregon tort Acro

Ponape birds nest

Purple meridiana

Purple polyp birdsnest

Tricolor Valida

Purple slimer

Red planet

Strawberry shortcake

I "washed" the mp40 dry side in rodi water and have been letting it dry in the sun for 3 days. Nothing else to lose there.

This has all been beyond frustrating. It's been enough to make me quit. Not leave the hobby, but quit on sps. I'm strongly contemplating just not touching the tank anymore, and just feeding the fish and not stressing further. Whatever dies will be thrown in the sump as rubble and just say to heck with it. Discouraging. No more livestock purchases for me. Updates will probably come fewer and farther between.

On the plus side, this pressurized co2 and EI dosing of the planted tank have caused a dramatic and near Immediate turnaround. Explosion of growth and pearling. Water cleared up, algae dying off, Good stuff. I WILL be hunting for more plants now

Edited by Bpb
  • Like 1

Reburn, looked those up. They're beautiful. I'm wanting to get ahold of some finer leaved fast stems and more red. I'll have to hit up aquatek next time I'm on town.

Plus side. Fixed my mp40. Works again. Tricolor Valida now showing STN. At least my equipment is back on track. This track sure is bumpy. Glass half full...with all these sps dying, I should save a lot on 2 part dosing. Maybe I'll cut the bio pellets too and really let these softies go to work

Good job on the mp40. I'm sure your SPS will get better.

Yea I like red too. I have a crypt metallic red that I love and some Alternanthera reineckii mini, And a whole bunch of buces. They are tricky like punks that melt at the first chance. I have some zoas like that too lol. Their beauty is second to none though. If you really want to fall in love look up some "black skeleton king Bucephalandra or black Achilles.

Don't give up Jonathan. Things will get better. It seems like all of us who upgraded tanks had some serious trouble with SPS. You have been an inspirational mentor who has helped me get along in my journey to understanding sps. It would be a shame for you to give up. But if I know you as well as I think I do, you won't give up. You just need a breather. Plus I had a plan for us. I decided that you and I can place bets on UFC matches and winner takes frags:)

Give me some time. I guess like victory said, a good measuring stick on when the tanks troubles are past...when crap stops dying. Montipora seem largely unaffected. Maybe I'll do a monti dominated tank. As far as UFC bets go....interesting proposal, though I think given both our backgrounds we will probably call fights mostly the same way. Unless you're a Chris Weidman fan...which case, we can't be friends anymore. Big one coming up in 5 weeks. Jones vs Cormier.

Well...I actually like Jones unlike most fans. And if I were betting, I'd put money on him...however; of anyone in that weight class, Cormier stands the best chance. He's so sick. Definitely top 5 current favorite in any weight class

Just off work. Tricolor Valida and red planet now snowing signs of STN. If I don't do something I will have a tank void of Acropora within a week.

I'm cutting bio pellets right now. That's the next step. Ball valve off. Three phosphate tests of 0ppb, and only algae I see is bryopsis which can easily grow in an ULNS. At this point I can't regret it because I have nothing to lose. I'll further regret doing NOTHING.