BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

Definitely in the correct outlets, I think I just may have said to myself that I need to switch the outlet to off, and not actually done it, or pulled up the app on my phone and done it, but possibly before the app established communication and a timeout occurred which actually happens more often than not. Either way. Fixed now. Hope it comes down soon. What a mess. Was hoping to start pulling some sps over sooner than later seeing that my montipora and birdsnests aren't showing any signs of RTN but looks like I'll have to wait it out a few more weeks.

In other news, my purple meridiana, red planet, and Hawkins echinata all RTNd in the tank they are being held in in Houston. So incredibly bummed about it, but it was a risk I willingly took. The guy tried to frag off the healthy tips. We will see how it goes. Looks like over half the tissue perished before it was addressed. Almost makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of angthing to begin with and just went ahead with it on my own

Edited by Bpb

All good fellas. It'll get itself sorted out. Maybe I'll just do an all softie tank, or fowlr. Not.

Water tests for today:

9.1 dKH

550 ppm calcium

1.026 salinity

5 ppm nitrate

In other news I can't remember if I had mentioned it, but on the 55 gallon, in order to prepare for metal halides I actually set my heater to run a little warmer up at 81 degrees. Nowadays the larger body of water has the temperature much more stable. I turned down the heater to allow a little wider range of temp through the day so now it bottoms out at 78 degrees, but with the metal halides on, it takes them 2 hours to completely top out at exactly 80.0 degrees every time. One fan kicks on and the temp holds right there so I'm actually running cooler now with the new lighting than I was previously. Good stuff. I get to keep them

Edited by Bpb

6/21: 9.1 dKH

6/22: 8.6 dKH

6/23: 8.1 dKH.

0.5 dKH a day on the dot. Alk pump going back on at a reduced dose time. As soon as I get it locked down would y'all say it's safe to start slowly bringing stuff back over? My purple montipora cap, bird of paradise, and rainbow montipora are not only still alive but showing visible growth since I fragged them the day before tank change. Obviously I don't plan to bring EVERYTHING back at once, but a few pieces at a time.

That's great man!

If it were me, why chance it and just let it sit stable for a bit and then bring things back. Or maybe just one piece at a time until you got everything back.

I wouldn't think it would take too long to stabilize since you basically just did a tank swap but I think some extra time to balance out wouldn't hurt.

Not opposed at all to waiting. What sort of tangibles should I be looking for in deciding when though? Aside from stable salinity, temperature, and alk testing?

Not opposed at all to waiting. What sort of tangibles should I be looking for in deciding when though? Aside from stable salinity, temperature, and alk testing?

or you could just start all over and let the coral sitters keep the coral. . . [emoji16]

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lol well I was kind of hoping for something more pro-active than reactive. Truthfully I just expected my purple cap to be dead by now, but instead the color is deeper, polyp extension more pronounced, and it's growing. I'll try one thing at a time though and give it a month or two to actually get everything back.

The fun part now. Sps wish list recommendations? What are some awesome pieces I should look for to diversify a bit. I'm set for stags and leggy growth. Want stumpy bushy stuff like Millies, Valida, tabling growth ect?

I think I will win the award for most over documented tank build. I haven't worried tko much about my magnesium levels, knowing they're low. I've used that to my advantage and allowed the calcium to precipitate a bit because it's still too high. I understand that high calcium in the presence of appropriate alk and magnesium levels is fairly harmless so it's not that big of a deal, but I'm always going to be chasing that "just-slightly-elevated-but-balanced-natural-seawater-parameters" until I get there.

Decided to test magnesium yesterday and as expected it came in low on the Salifert test. It's still good, but I've only got maybe 2 tests worth left in it. Anyhow I got 1110 ppm, so I'll be dosing 20oz a day of the 3:5 magnesium sulfate:magnesium chloride mix for the next 5 days or so to bring it up to 1500 ppm. I figure I've got roughly 100-110 total water volume gallons if estimate so that should do it. I have another unopened magnesium test kit ready as well. Do you guys add you magnesium as a bolus dose, a slow slow pour/trickle, or an all day drip dose? I've always drip dosed it but wonder if that's a waste of time

Certainly feel Ty's pain about not having an autopilot tank. Never realized how much a settled mature tank with heavy coral and coralline load will stabilize parameters. I feel like I'm chasing chickens here.

Anyhow everyone hates text an loves pics. I only have two pics to share. Nothing special. Haven't changed my livestock or rock scape any. Just an over the shoulder view from the couch. I end up spending more time looking over my shoulder than at the tv in front of me.

Also picked up a new pump from victoly. Thanks Ian, good to meet you. I'll be putting this cd pump in the skimmer chamber and running it on the lowest setting to power the reactors. My over analytical thought process is that if I'm using my refugium for pod production, why run my reactor manifold AFTER the fuge, so the pods will get caught up in the reactors and then skimmed off. So now I'll be running a dedicated return pump, and separate reactor pump.

Another small complaint is the light spill outside the back of the canopy is intense. Wish I could reduce that somehow without closing it in. Temp management has been a breeze, pun intended. Still awaiting word on the BML strip. I'm worried my current layout will look too purple. Also bumped the halide photoperiod to 4 hours today. 30 minutes a week. Everything seems very happy. Especially the zoas

post-2651-0-86056700-1403624894_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-43808600-1403625638_thumb.jp

It'll get there bud... time is on your side! Plus you don't have to worry about killing anything since you got rid of most of your SPS colonies. Those softies and LPS can sure take a hit compared to SPS.

If you have the most over-documented tank award, then I'm glad they took away my crown. I guess no news is good news in this hobby. My tank build thread has turned into a circus now with the lack of updates! doh.gif

For Mg, I usually aim to increase it 100 ppm/day. I usually just slowly poured it in and had ill effect.

Well it wasn't what I wanted or planned to do, but I had to make an emergency trip to a buddy's place at 10:00 PM as I was leaving work last night because several of my SPS colonies he was holding began to RTN extremely quickly. Lost an entire 6"-20 branch colony of ORA Stuber Stag in a 48 hour period. I asked if I could wait till the weekend and he sent pics and said "I don't know why its happening, but if it were me Id not wait any longer" so I came back in alot more SPS than I wanted to introduce this early, but they were going to die in his tank for certain. Matter of fact lost a couple individual glued branches overnight last night.

I picked up mini colonies of Raspberry Cheesecake Acro, Stuber Stag, Red Millie, Tricolor Valida, Jeremy's Montipora, and Northern Lights Nasuta. Not happy about bringing them back so hastily, but I've got the frag rack on the front glass nice and low down, and did a 10 minute bayer dip on each one at 10 mL/2 cups. The good news about the whole ordeal is aside from the branches that were already showing RTN when I got them home, nothing else is showing it and they retained their dark color. I also got a decent sized Stomatella snail hitchiker on a plug which I rescued before the dip. This time I let the guy attatch to my hand and hang on, instead of screaming like a girl and flapping my hand like last time one got on me.

I'll post pics when I can get some light

Any video evidence of you screaming like a girl? You know, for science?

My 10 month old daughter saw Jonathan do a replica of that screaming and shaking of the head and then she tried imitating him.
  • Like 1

Here's close up iPhone pics of all the specimens I retrieved last night. Tried to get as close and clear of shots as possible. These will be helpful for growth and coloration purposes. I'll remove the two dead blue stag pieces eventually

post-2651-0-11053700-1403923226_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-37302000-1403923302_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-38510900-1403923318_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-64861000-1403923332_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-14665800-1403923347_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-22057900-1403923366_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-40513600-1403923380_thumb.jp

LOL You're never home, man! Though I was gonna say I have alot of duplicates. If many of these end up surviving, I'd offer to sell you some cheap, or trade, but you're breaking your tank down soon.

• Like 1

In keeping with the tradition of documenting every piece of livestock I add and remove...I'm sad and happy at the same time to report I'm now anemone-less. My RBTA decided to move out of its long time rock home, and get with the tank moving times and roam around. After seeing it go up and down the side glass and then proceed to the sandbed and get all handsy with my light-acclimating sps frags I had had enough. Sorry clown, but no more nem for you. Once it hit the sand I reached in and scooped it up and put it in a container and started texting everyone I knew asking if they wanted am RBTA. No one had money, but as I really didn't want the nem anymore and this guy caught my eye the other day, we called it an even trade.

Some kind of Lps. No idea what it is. Bright neon orange center, with purple streaks and splatters. With a metallic dark green rim

post-2651-0-05237200-1404006366_thumb.jp