New coral

jake112005

Looks like goniopora. They generally have poor survivability in reef tanks but there have been more people having better success with them lately due to the advent of readily available micro foods such as oyster eggs and reef frenzy to name a few. Just be careful because over feeding will reduce your water quality.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Take it back to aquatek ?

+10 to Victoly

Until consumers hold LFS accountable for their bad practices, nothing changes at the retail level. I am all about responsible reef keeping. You should have never been advised to buy that coral.

Patrick

I moved this coral as suggested, and it isn't doing any better. I really don't want to lose it. Any other ideas out there? Thank you!!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Jake,

Good things do not happen fast in reefkeeping. Only bad things happen fast. Exercising patience is a valuable trait in reefkeeping.

Patrick

If they fuss about it, just say that you are a new reef aquarist and that you weren't aware of the care level requirements for a challenging coral like goniopora. Reiterate that you were told by staff that it was an "easy" coral (it's not), and that upon further research you were not able to care for it adequately.

If you're just getting into the game, i'd stick to learner corals (mushrooms, leathers, zoas, soft corals) as impulse buys. Ask staff if the piece you're oogling are "LPS" or "SPS" and don't buy those on a whim. A vast majority of soft corals are the best place to learn the hobby and then mature into other corals. As a rule of thumb, most corals that create hard skeletons (the aforementioned sps/lps) are going to require that you do testing or supplementing, and that's a lot to do coming fresh into the game.

I moved this coral as suggested, and it isn't doing any better. I really don't want to lose it. Any other ideas out there? Thank you!!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I started with softies and an acan. The acan didn't make it, but I learned a lot and now keep softies and lps with great success and a few of the "easier" sps with moderate success. Softies and LPS are prettier in my opinion, especially if you have a wavemaker to make them move. Hope it pulls through.

Edited by mFrame (Mike)
adhere to forum rules
  • Like 1