Actinic or 50/50

Gonzo59

I think it's about time to change out the Compact fluorescents in my 14g cube. Right now I am running 2 24w's 1 10,000k and one actinic, I was wondering if I should switch the actinic over to a 50/50? I really like the actinicas a stand alone and run it for an hour every night by itself (which is one of my favorite times to watch the tank). If the benefits of having more full spectrum outweigh my viewing pleasure, I am willing to sacrifice though...

What are yall's thoughts? I have mostly read that actinic is more for us and doesn't really have any benefits to the coral since full spectrum has every color; I have also read that it is VERY beneficial to corals.

Actinic is beneficial to the coral. Actinic is beneficial to our viewing as it enhances florescence (pop). For many that like blue, they would go with 1 50/50 and one actinic. If you did this you would lose the enhanced red of your macro. You indicated going the other way, dropping the actinic for a 50/50. I am confused with your logic as you said viewing with actinic was your favorite time. I like the color of your tank. I thought you did also. Why change it?

Patrick

PS. Compact fluorescents do not require changing as frequent as T5

Basically you are running a 50/50 lighting system. and to switch the actinic to a true 50 / 50 bulb you would be dramatically increasing your daylight 6-6.5 k from 420 actinic, or increasing your dayligtht spectrum by 25% and decreasing your actinic by 25%. A fairly dramatic shift in spectrum. I think you will be shocked by the difference in coral colors. You will experience an instant browing out of visable color and a shift to white light glare. If you really want moe sunlight to enhance coral growth, remeber that algae likes this same spectrum. Maybe consider some white stunners on a strip you can run independantly as you choose. But bottom line is its your own preferences.

Archived