Something is not right here...

Sherita

I'm driving myself crazy with this. I'm working on the 210g rockwork, but something is not doing what I want. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just not right. This isn't the best photo, there are a lot more open areas than what it looks like. I think the cluttered mess behind the rock is what's making it look so closed up. Opinions, please.

210rock.jpg

I like it. Ideas, not necessarily good ones: connect the rocks that flank the exacto blades (right below the circular blade)? I'm trying to figure out what's bothering you about it...from far away, it almost looks like three slightly different groupings of the same configuration (if that makes sense). I guess that was really only one idea and a guess.

I think you are right. Too similar.

I'm going to walk away from it for a day or two, then go back at it. Sometimes if you stare at something too long, you just make yourself nuts. And the problem doesn't get resolved.

Here are my comments. Generally, I like it. I do think the other stuff in the background makes it look strange. Also, a sand bed will help. smile.png I've made some mark ups quickly so I can point to what I'm writing.

A. The right hand side I'm thinking looks pretty darn good! Maybe you could add some connections, archways as I've drawn in green. I like the open cave look you have here. The two top archways are more important IMO than the lower one. Would tie the stacks together.

B. I'm not a huge fan of the rocks on top of the shelves. Dunno but it looks strange to me

C. Maybe move this stack and combine with D after removing the shelf?

C/D Shelf rocks, maybe attach to back/side wall independent of the other structures?

Overall, I think A is very nice. I don't think it is crowded, I think it has lots of wiggle room for the fish.

post-2370-0-04334800-1394420143_thumb.pn

I'll have more pics later. I got aggravated at that left side, and took it apart. As much as I like them, I don't think the shelf pieces are going to fit in with where I am going with this tank. I don't want things stuck to the back wall, so that pretty much leaves out attaching them back there. What is just irritating the fire out of me is that I have this super cool piece of rock that I absolutely love, and I cannot find a spot for it to save my life. ARRGGGGGGHHHHH!

I despise rockscaping. I'd rather clean skimmers than do this. I always make myself insane over it.

So, when I get done, it looks like I'm going to have a few choice pieces of rock left over to share with someone. Sigh.

Let's try this again. Marbles lost, take two

210rocktake2.jpg

right side

210rockrt.jpg

middle

210rockmiddle.jpg

left

210rocklt.jpg

I'm still undecided. But I do like this better. I may turn the right side into an island, and leave the middle and left attached. The shelf that is on the bottom is for my acans to sit upon, right up front :)

Definitely better! There is some rule about what appears aesthetically pleasing to us, but I forget the formula... something about 3 to 5.

I just read about this the other day! It's some Greek thing about dividing things into thirds. Let me find it.

Alright. The rule of 3rds I can handle. Golden ratio involves math more complicated than my pea brain can handle. So, I'm going with the rule of 3rds, LOL.

I drew the grid over my current rockwork layout, and it conforms pretty well. I'll leave it that way a couple of days, then re-evaluate it.

Sherita does not do advanced math. The dyslexia creates interesting problems where there were none before bye.gif

Alright. The rule of 3rds I can handle. Golden ratio involves math more complicated than my pea brain can handle. So, I'm going with the rule of 3rds, LOL.

I drew the grid over my current rockwork layout, and it conforms pretty well. I'll leave it that way a couple of days, then re-evaluate it.

Sherita does not do advanced math. The dyslexia creates interesting problems where there were none before bye.gif

You're not alone! Math is hard. :)

I think the golden ratio is similar to the rule of thirds, just more of a mathematical approach. I learned a great deal reading up on the rule of thirds stuff.

With that said, I suck at aquascaping. Every one I have ever done I was disappointed with. I'm still trying to perfect things in the 185 weeks later. I can say that I'm closer to my goal though. :)

I've gotta get this right before I put the rockwork in the 210. My fat little arms don't reach the bottom without some serious overhang going on, LOL. And once the water goes in it will be hopeless for me. If I can't reach it with tongs, then I'm gonna get wet for sure.

I really want to get this sorted in the next few days and get the rock into the tank. The quicker the rock and sand are in, the quicker the water gets in and the cycle starts. And I've still got so much to do for this tank. My brain hurts to even think about it.

I've gotta get this right before I put the rockwork in the 210. My fat little arms don't reach the bottom without some serious overhang going on, LOL. And once the water goes in it will be hopeless for me. If I can't reach it with tongs, then I'm gonna get wet for sure.

I really want to get this sorted in the next few days and get the rock into the tank. The quicker the rock and sand are in, the quicker the water gets in and the cycle starts. And I've still got so much to do for this tank. My brain hurts to even think about it.

Cherish it! My favorite part of a build is setting everything up. :) I hear you though, I always get impatient during the process at some point. The worst is cable management. I start out trying to do a good job but still end up in a rat's nest of cable awfulness.

If it makes you feel any better, I really like the rock work you've done. My only criticism is it looks uniform in some spots (the openings between sections). Get that fixed and you're golden!

Rules of thrds and golden ratios? Over complicate much :). It's hard to do with just pictures, but your "splitting them up" part has me thinking. There is a little sliver in the middle that almost seems to be behind everything. If you can pull that out I think it'd be a good start. You may end up with two similar tables, but putting a few small rocks on them may split up the symmetry.

Good luck.

Ramsey, I hear you on the cable management thing. I've got macrame going on, all I need is a flower pot. I always swear that I'm going to do better "this time". Does not happen, ever.

I'm going to tinker with the rocks more today, just because I like aggravating myself. *snort*

To paint a better picture in your head, looking at the first scape you did, find the package with the bar code on your wall. Directly underneath it you have some rock which essentially connects the middle structure to the right structure. Remove that and you have two islands. I would just relocate those few pieces of rock and call it a day. Hope you like the idea.

• Like 1

My opinion is what you pay for:

The rule of thirds applies, can be simple, complex, or both. I agree on the whole the rockwork pictured is repeatitive.

if the general deminsion of the pic is similar to the tank I encourage you to think of your thirds left to right not top to bottom.

Secondly, might I promote that a lot of tanks promote thrids without realizing it; by using "dead space" in the center.

On the other hand, I like three structures with the center either place more forward or rear.

Your brain already likes this effect, so you'll know when you get it it "right", but also might obssess if it's RIGHT like I do. Don't! you can't predict how it grows!

I'm not gonna give specifics because I know rock only fits a certain way, but I personally like a high cave on one side, a low cave on the other and a "valley" in the middle. On the other hand I think my next tank I may go with rock that doesn't "stack" or instead use rods to build towers to try something different.

GOOD LUCK!

Rules of thrds and golden ratios? Over complicate much :). It's hard to do with just pictures, but your "splitting them up" part has me thinking. There is a little sliver in the middle that almost seems to be behind everything. If you can pull that out I think it'd be a good start. You may end up with two similar tables, but putting a few small rocks on them may split up the symmetry.

Good luck.

I've learned in this hobby that aquascaping is very hard. At least, for me it is. Some people have a natural talent for it and others don't. It seems I fall into the latter category. The rule of thirds helps me get ideas by using a guideline. I don't follow it like a rule that should never be broken, but I have been using it to give me a good place to start. The golden ratio is complicated, I'm not even going to go there, but the rule of thirds is not too terribly difficult and as I said, it gives me a good place to start and something to be mindful of.

On a side note, I'm so envious of people that can just take five minutes, throw some rock in their tank, and have a beautiful scape. Thur end up with a piece of art. I end up with a misplaced pile of rock. :)